Question about DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppa93

PCO Class of 2009
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre optometry student who has already taken OAT, and I did pretty good. I am just wondering how hard DAT is compared to OAT? or they have the same level of difficulty? I wanna be a dentist though, and I am thinking about what to do. I couldnt do any of the PAT questions. How do u guys study for it? what do u suggest I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

ppa93 said:
I am a pre optometry student who has already taken OAT, and I did pretty good. I am just wondering how hard DAT is compared to OAT? or they have the same level of difficulty? I wanna be a dentist though, and I am thinking about what to do. I couldnt do any of the PAT questions. How do u guys study for it? what do u suggest I should do?

Hey ppa93, I recommend Barron's DAT book as well as Top Score CD. The Barron book you could find at any Barnes and Noble. Top Score DAT CD could be found on the web . Also, look into Kaplan's DAT book (Barnes and Noble).

The key thing is don't be intimidated. Once you get the hang of it, you'll start to like it. Good luck future dentist. :)

ppa93 said:

OAT is pretty similar in terms of difficulty to DAT. However, it is always good to look through sample DAT tests and study guides to see the exact format and the types of questions they will ask on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not exactly sure how similar they are, but Kaplan lumps OAT students into the classes with DAT students. They just swap PAT lessons for Physics lessons. So, they've got to be close.

Hey. I took both tests.
The science section is pretty similar, so as the math and the reading.
If you did well on OAT, most likely you will do well on the DAT, because that is also the case with me. However, the timing is different, so you have to be familiar with that, and also the PAT is an extra section - do a search on the PAT in the forums, and you will find plenty.

Great job with the OAT, and most likely you will do well on the DAT. My socres for both were almost exactly the same.

There is no Physics in DAT!! I am really lucky!!

jk5177 said:
Hey. I took both tests.
The science section is pretty similar, so as the math and the reading.
If you did well on OAT, most likely you will do well on the DAT, because that is also the case with me. However, the timing is different, so you have to be familiar with that, and also the PAT is an extra section - do a search on the PAT in the forums, and you will find plenty.

Great job with the OAT, and most likely you will do well on the DAT. My socres for both were almost exactly the same.

Hi, I'm wondering if you would mind telling us your OAT and DAT scores just so we can get a feeling of around what this correlation is. Thanks!