Question about December 1st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red823

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know by now everyone is anxiously waiting for November to zoom by so that much awaited day comes soon. My question to past applicants is this:

Do the schools that generally notify you of your acceptance by snail mail send a few days before Dec. 1st so we will find out on Dec 1st or are they only allowed to send anything on Dec. 1st exactly?

If the latter case is true, can we call up the admin people of the schools we interviewed and asked them of our status? I mean...they should and are allowed to tell us on Dec 1st if we get accepted, waitlisted, or flat out rejected right?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my letters Dec. 5-6 (can't remember). Typically they release them on Dec. 1st

if you are waiting until dec 1 then you can probalby wait for 4 to 5 more days.. i don't htink admissions aprreciate the bother of all students on the same day just a thought

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools did send acceptance letters few days before Dec 1st in the past, no telling if they will do it again. If they do the same this cycle, the letters will be dated Dec 1st, to comply with the Dec 1st rule that all D-schools agreed on.

There is about 30 days left... hang in there.

on the interviews i've been to, i was told we could call on dec. 1st to find out the status of our acceptances.

Thanks for all your help guys !

I guess it's true that we've waited this long already...what's another 4-5 days...I just feel bad for the mailman who comes by my house. That's just another 4-5 more days of harrassment :p

Does anybody know how USC, UCLA, and UCSF send out their acceptances (email, telephone, letter)? If you are going to be accepted, will you find out on December 1st?

Thanks for your help!

Do all schools send out a big, thick, juicy envelope? When I got accepted to undergrad, I got a skimpy little letter telling me I was accepted! Does anyone know what the materials schools send out looks like?

edkNARF said:
Do all schools send out a big, thick, juicy envelope? When I got accepted to undergrad, I got a skimpy little letter telling me I was accepted! Does anyone know what the materials schools send out looks like?

No, some schools send acceptance letters are on one sheet of paper in a thin envelope letting you know that you are accepted. Then additional mailings follow.

I don't know about UCLA and UCSF but I believe USC will call by phone for acceptance that's why in the post-interview packet they told us to list down as many phone numbers as possible for contact.

December 1: does it mean schools send the acceptance letters in December to "all" of those who have got interviews before December? For instance, my friend got an interview in Aug but mine's in Nov. Can both of us receive the acceptance letters at the same time, that is Dec 1?? :confused:

toony said:
December 1: does it mean schools send the acceptance letters in December to "all" of those who have got interviews before December? For instance, my friend got an interview in Aug but mine's in Nov. Can both of us receive the acceptance letters at the same time, that is Dec 1?? :confused:
Totally dependent on frequency of ad com meetings and speed of selection. Technically any interview before december 1, no matter how recent, could result in a dec. 1 acceptance.

I have a question... Does the December 1 date apply only to American applicants? The reason I ask is because there is a thread on the international dental section of the forums talking about students getting their acceptance letters to UPenn and one talks about an acceptance to Tufts. I though December 1 was when the dental school itself had to wait to accept applicants. Is this not true? Thanks!

BrightSmile said:
I have a question... Does the December 1 date apply only to American applicants? The reason I ask is because there is a thread on the international dental section of the forums talking about students getting their acceptance letters to UPenn and one talks about an acceptance to Tufts. I though December 1 was when the dental school itself had to wait to accept applicants. Is this not true? Thanks!

You have to ask them on the international forum, because some of them are actually dentists who are apply for positions reserved for them at specific schools, like U of Penn, to become a USA dentist. I asked the same question the other day of an international student who claimed to have received an acceptance letter from U of Penn, and he responded that he was a foriegn trained dentist applying for the reserved transfer student spots or something of the like. Anyway, if he says he has a letter in hand, I guess you have to believe "he" believes what he is saying.

if a school decides to waitlist you, they would also let you know then too, right? (assuming the interview was completed way back in early oct)

of course i'm trying to be optimistic. but just wondering...

vandy_yankee said:
if a school decides to waitlist you, they would also let you know then too, right? (assuming the interview was completed way back in early oct)

of course i'm trying to be optimistic. but just wondering...

If you are wait-listed, you will know. Depending on the school how you are informed may vary.