Quantcast

Question about DISADVANTAGED STUDENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentist88

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am wondering if I classify as a disadvantaged student. I am Asian (East Indian, specifically). In the section where it says disadvantaged I feel I have economical and educational disadvantages but not sure what to put there.

Story real quick is that my parents had no education, and immigrated here when I was about 5. Due to lack of education they were unable to hold jobs and the jobs they held drew in about 30k a year family income. In order to have some sort of job and livelihood we moved around and I went to 11 schools in 7 different states/provinces in USA and Canada in 13 years (k-12). The longest place I went to school I believe is 3 years and that was in high school. I didn't have a best friend until college, or any friends really, felt like I was always the new guy so education aside it was hard enough being accepted before I could start focusing in class through my years. But by the time I did, we would move.

I'm just wondering if that shows/has any economic/educational disadvantages that would qualify in that part or am I trying to say something that doesn't belong there? please let me know i would greatly appreciate it.

larryguy1960

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I classify as a disadvantaged student. I am Asian (East Indian, specifically). In the section where it says disadvantaged I feel I have economical and educational disadvantages but not sure what to put there.

Story real quick is that my parents had no education, and immigrated here when I was about 5. Due to lack of education they were unable to hold jobs and the jobs they held drew in about 30k a year family income. In order to have some sort of job and livelihood we moved around and I went to 11 schools in 7 different states/provinces in USA and Canada in 13 years (k-12). The longest place I went to school I believe is 3 years and that was in high school. I didn't have a best friend until college, or any friends really, felt like I was always the new guy so education aside it was hard enough being accepted before I could start focusing in class through my years. But by the time I did, we would move.

I'm just wondering if that shows/has any economic/educational disadvantages that would qualify in that part or am I trying to say something that doesn't belong there? please let me know i would greatly appreciate it.

I got beat up once on the jungle gym when I was 8. Wrote about it in my personal statement.

Dentist88

Reaction score
I got beat up once on the jungle gym when I was 8. Wrote about it in my personal statement.

I wasn't going to write it in my PS but rather as a separate couple paragraph entry in the disadvantaged section. So you think it would be a good idea to do so?

MNdental

Reaction score

that is a disadvantaged background. Play up the economic hardships and the exceptional mobility. continuity is important for children and their education.

Do not play up the whole friends thing, lots of people have no friends.:(