Question about DO Legacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anrut

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a nontraditonal postbac/grad premed osteo major. I have a degree in public health and my postbac gpa is fairly good and my practice MCAT are decent as well. My grandfather was a DO and I was wondering if anyone on this forum was aware of Osteo's school admission's committees taking special consideration to those applicant's whose parents or grandparents are or were DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

Consider yourself ACCEPTED, just pick your D.O. school!

Case in point: a current third year PCOM student who's two uncles graduated from PCOM was accepted to the school without having even taken the MCAT!!! She eventually took the April MCAT that year and scored a 22. No problem, though, she waltzed right on in that fall.

Legacies have a HUGE advantage in allo and osteo programs, which bothered me for a while, but now that I've been accepted, I'm kind of glad because my kids, nephews, nieces, etc. will have an easier time of getting in if they decide to go into medicine.

"I ain't no fortunate son" -Creedence Clearwater Revival

Although I have no actual experience in this matter, I have been told differently by many ADCOMs and advisors alike.

I'm not saying that having a D.O. in the family will hurt, it will most certainly spark some interest in your application, but I think you are far from "waltzing in" to any school you chose based soley on this fact.

Who knows...I could be wrong.

Best of luck to you.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

It would somewhat scare me if I was able to
"waltz" into any medical school, but this info really helps! Thanks!