Question about DO shadowing and my past shadowing..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefscribejake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My family care physician is an alumni from PCOM-PA from however long ago and she has been taking care of my family for years. Longer than I can remember, really. Today during a check-up (I have an otitis media on the left btw...), I asked the question and she was thrilled. So, for her office I can either choose two or three days, show up, sign a piece of paper and go about shadowing. Or, I can go through a lengthy process of filling out paperwork which will allow me to shadow longer than two or three days.

That being said,
  • I have over 1000+ hours of EM scribing with only MDs.
  • Leadership experience with managing this scribe branch that entails teaching and training newly-hired scribes basics in pathophysiology and medical terminology.
  • I'm obtaining my EMT-B this summer and plan to switch from scribing to this after completion of the course.
  • I'm volunteering through the Boys and Girls Club of America once a week to hangout with this one kid who had a tough-upbringing similar to mine.
  • Two semesters of undergrad research with a virologist with the EB virus and Influenza.
If I get about, let's say... 20-25ish hrs of shadowing a DO, do you think this would be okay? Or should I aim for the long run and do more two to three days of shadowing. Let me know your thoughts and what you think a good amount of shadowing hours entails.

Members don't see this ad.

My family care physician is an alumni from PCOM-PA from however long ago and she has been taking care of my family for years. Longer than I can remember, really. Today during a check-up (I have an otitis media on the left btw...), I asked the question and she was thrilled. So, for her office I can either choose two or three days, show up, sign a piece of paper and go about shadowing. Or, I can go through a lengthy process of filling out paperwork which will allow me to shadow longer than two or three days.

That being said,
  • Leadership experience with managing this scribe branch that entails teaching and training newly-hired scribes basics in pathophysiology and medical terminology.
  • I'm obtaining my EMT-B this summer and plan to switch from scribing to this after completion of the course.
  • I'm volunteering through the Boys and Girls Club of America once a week to hangout with this one kid who had a tough-upbringing similar to mine.
  • Two semesters of undergrad research with a virologist with the EB virus and Influenza.
If I get about, let's say... 20-25ish hrs of shadowing a DO, do you think this would be okay? Or should I aim for the long run and do more two to three days of shadowing. Let me know your thoughts and what you think a good amount of shadowing hours entails.

A few days in her clinic is more than enough shadowing experience IMO. You're using it to augment your experience towards (why DO).

Are you getting an LOR from her?

Reactions: 1 user
A few days in her clinic is more than enough shadowing experience IMO.You're using it to augment your experience towards (why DO).

Are you getting an LOR from her?
I'm sure she will. I haven't specifically asked. But I think her actually being my family care physician will play a certain role in the LoR about watching me grow up and mold into who I am, etc etc etc...

I appreciate you mentioning that idea that some shadowing is better than no shadowing at all. A mentality I'll take!

Members don't see this ad :)

That being said,
you make it sound like a marriage proposal. but yeah, any shadowing is good. U applying md and do?

Reactions: 1 users
Just go for the 2 or 3 days. You already have plenty clinical experience.

you make it sound like a marriage proposal. but yeah, any shadowing is good. U applying md and do?
Yes, of course. My home state is North Carolina so of course UNC, Wake Forest and ECU will be will receiving my application. I would say Duke, but I'm not academically the best candidate for them at this moment. You could say the same about the others, but I digress.

Currently on an upward trend with my GPA.
Freshman Yr = 3.33
Currently my sophomore year = 3.44 (Waiting on my finals to end and I'll update this.)

I'll be quitting my full-time job soon so hopefully that'll give me a bump in the GPA... I'm gonna need it.

Yes, of course. My home state is North Carolina so of course UNC, Wake Forest and ECU will be will receiving my application. I would say Duke, but I'm not academically the best candidate for them at this moment. You could say the same about the others, but I digress.

Currently on an upward trend with my GPA.
Freshman Yr = 3.33
Currently my sophomore year = 3.44 (Waiting on my finals to end and I'll update this.)

I'll be quitting my full-time job soon so hopefully that'll give me a bump in the GPA... I'm gonna need it.
oh, i htought you were gonna be applying this cycle.