question about double applying on ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arnold Chiari

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for whatever reason; how plausible is it to apply to 2 different specialties. For example medicine and surgery. Is it possible to submitt 2 sets of letters of recommendation, two seperate essays, and two separatte dean's letters? Will the ERAS program allow for such mixing and matching?

Also, how much communication is there between the different departments within one institution.

I immagine that this is not the first itme such a question has been asked, but I would appreciate any fresh thoughts from people who have been there or know of others who have.

Members don't see this ad.

Arnold Chiari said:
So for whatever reason; how plausible is it to apply to 2 different specialties. For example medicine and surgery. Is it possible to submitt 2 sets of letters of recommendation, two seperate essays, and two separatte dean's letters? Will the ERAS program allow for such mixing and matching?

Also, how much communication is there between the different departments within one institution.

I immagine that this is not the first itme such a question has been asked, but I would appreciate any fresh thoughts from people who have been there or know of others who have.

You can definitely use ERAS that way - 2 (or more specialties), as many letters as you want (though you designate a max of 4 for each program), as many personal statements as you want. Only one dean's letter, though. That may be a problem, because the dean's letter sometimes talks about your future plans. You are in good company, though; according to AAMC, 1254 people applied to both IM categorical and GS categorical programs last year.

This makes no sense to me...
Why would you apply to both IM and GS categorical programs?
Not that I'm placing value judgement. Just trying to understand the rationale.