Question about early applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license2kill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the earlier you apply, the better the chance of admission to dental school. To take advantage, I submitted my application on the 15th, and was scheduled to take the exam on the 31st of this month, but I didn't feel 100% ready for the exam so I have canceled it for now.

The problem that I have is that, I will be working abroad for the whole summer in Asia. I still wanted to be considered an early applicant so I was thinking about flying out to Guam to take the DAT-late July. Do you think it will make a difference if I just waited to come back to the states and take it in mid August? When is the cut off for being an early applicant vs a regular applicant? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter when you take the DAT, but most schools do not consider your application complete until they receive everything (fees, LOR's, DAT scores, and AADSAS application) and you won't be considered until it is complete. You should also figure in the extra time it takes for your DAT scores to be processed (approx. 4-6 weeks). So what really matters is when your schools begin to look at applications.

My question was with all other elements completed except the DAT. Do you think 8/15 is a little too late considering that it takes 4-6 weeks for the scores to process? If I took the DAT, lets say mid July, would it be more beneficial?

I am trying to weigh out the cost and benefits of taking the DAT in Guam in mid July or just waiting till I get back to the states.