Question about Enzyme Activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juggernaut604

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what the community thinks about a question I got in QVault.

It asks: Which of the following will decrease the activity of an enzyme?
The answer was: "Decreasing substrate concentration".

I'm of the opinion that enzyme activity will only be influenced by changes in temperature and pH (i.e. changing its optimal conditions). I think that changing the concentration of the enzyme or substrate will not impact the enzymes activity, but rather the rate of reaction (i.e. make changes to Km or 1/2Vmax).

What does everyone else think? Am I misinterpreting the question?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious what the community thinks about a question I got in QVault.

It asks: Which of the following will decrease the activity of an enzyme?
The answer was: "Decreasing substrate concentration".

I'm of the opinion that enzyme activity will only be influenced by changes in temperature and pH (i.e. changing its optimal conditions). I think that changing the concentration of the enzyme or substrate will not impact the enzymes activity, but rather the rate of reaction (i.e. make changes to Km or 1/2Vmax).

What does everyone else think? Am I misinterpreting the question?

Thanks

The question wording is poor. If you consider enzyme activity as the rate of conversion of substrate to product then it is affected by substrate concentration and enzyme concentration.

I think the confusion lies at intrinsic enzyme properties. Vmax is rate of enzyme at max saturation of substrate and Km is affinity for substrate. These are unaltered with [] of substrate/enzyme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk