Question about ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUNDMC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a question, I'm applying for anesthesia

1) in ERAS, if you don't have all the recommenders listed except one can I just send the one LOR and send the rest later to all the schools? If so, does the applicant do that or the school you are going to do that by posting it up on the ERAS webserver again?

2) for anesthesia, should I apply for PGY-1 and Categorical and Advanced spots at the same school?

Clearly, I'm confused about all this... enlighten me please...

RUNDMC

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have a question, I'm applying for anesthesia

1) in ERAS, if you don't have all the recommenders listed except one can I just send the one LOR and send the rest later to all the schools? If so, does the applicant do that or the school you are going to do that by posting it up on the ERAS webserver again?

2) for anesthesia, should I apply for PGY-1 and Categorical and Advanced spots at the same school?

Clearly, I'm confused about all this... enlighten me please...

RUNDMC

Yes you can send more letters later as they come in. I don't really understand what the second part of your first question is saying. At my school, the letter writers mail the letters straight to our residency coordinator person and she uploads them to our eras. So all we do is ask for the letter and then (hopefully) it will soon be uploaded and sent to the schools to which we designated it. As for your other question, I am not applying to anesthesia and you may want to do a search in the new anesthesia forum, but I would imagine it depends on what you want. Do you want to have to apply separately to medicine/surgery prelims (which would be the case for the advanced positions), or do you want to go to a place where you would do your prelim year at the same place as your anesthesia training? Or does location matter more to you and you don't really care what type of program you go to? HTH.

I'm asking in the first question, if students can send the letters to the ERAS instead of separately sending all those copied letters to different programs, but I think you have answered that part...

I guess, this is a question for people going into anesthesia... Advanced vs Categorial ... what does it all mean really?

I don't care about matching at a place that has PGY1 and the others included. I just want to make sure I can get a PGY1 spot and of course the advance spots in anesthesia...

Oh, by the way, can you change the name of the recommender later on and have those letters uploaded? Basically, what I'm asking is, is the ERAS application all set and not alterable once it is sent in?

Thanks in advance....

I'm asking in the first question, if students can send the letters to the ERAS instead of separately sending all those copied letters to different programs, but I think you have answered that part...

I guess, this is a question for people going into anesthesia... Advanced vs Categorial ... what does it all mean really?

I don't care about matching at a place that has PGY1 and the others included. I just want to make sure I can get a PGY1 spot and of course the advance spots in anesthesia...

Oh, by the way, can you change the name of the recommender later on and have those letters uploaded? Basically, what I'm asking is, is the ERAS application all set and not alterable once it is sent in?

Thanks in advance....

Ok, I think you are confused. As far as I know (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong b/c I would hate to be screwing all this up) you don't send letters to the programs. The programs get everything from ERAS. Your school (assuming it is a US med school, if not I have no clue how it works for IMGs) should copy and upload all your LORs to your ERAS. Additionally you will need to put your personal statement on ERAS and also a picture (which at least in my case, the school will also upload after we email it to the residency coordinator).

For anesthesia there are advanced positions which means if you apply this year you would be applying for your PGY-2 year, and would therefore need to also apply to prelim spots (either medicine, surgery, or possibly a transition year if they allow it, I'm not sure) for your PGY-1 year. You are responsible for arranging your PGY-1 year. These are applied to separately and require separate interviews. It could be at the same school as your anesthesia residency or it could be clear across the country. Categorical positions include the PGY-1 year, so you don't have to arrange it yourself.

You can change your LOR at any time, it just isn't guaranteed that the programs will get the new one, b/c if they already have your complete application they may never look again to see if anything changed.