Question about extra-curriculars

Started by FireFist
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FireFist

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my question is very specific to myself.

I have worked 50+ hours per week while going to school either part or full time for the last 7 years. I also have a wife and child.

Because of this my extracurriculars have been my job (Paramedic, then Paramedic/Firefighter), kickboxing, union activities (but no leadership postion), and I am going to shadow this year (to try to get a DO recommendation... I have multiple MD ones.... but I want DO). That is it. I just don't feel like I have time for anything else really, not if I want a relationship with my wife and daughter.

Do you all think I should try to find more activities (if I made bunk beds, I think I might have more room for activities!:laugh:), or do you think that this matters less if I can do well on the MCAT and play up the whole work experience thing?

Let me know. Have a nice day all!🙂
 
do you think that this matters less if I can do well on the MCAT and play up the whole work experience thing?

I vote for this option. Look for one or two ad hoc community volunteer opportunities, like a flood clean up or whatnot.
 
I did find something where I could put in an hour a week mentoring a kid at the local community center. I think I might be able to do that. Thanks for the advice.