question about getting an apartment for rent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorJay87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a quick question about getting an apartment. Im starting to look for apartments for rent near my (likely) medical school for next year. The thing is, im finding that listings require credit approval/paystubs etc. Thing is, I havent really worked much and my plan was to pay for my housing with loans. Will i have a problem getting approved to rent the apartment? How exactly do i go about renting like this? Would i need my parents to take primary ownership?

thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I would use this website, a local paper, a free local apartment listing(I find these at grocery stores), or the classified section on SDN(maybe someone is giving up an apartment near where you are going to school)

I got a quick question about getting an apartment. Im starting to look for apartments for rent near my (likely) medical school for next year. The thing is, im finding that listings require credit approval/paystubs etc. Thing is, I havent really worked much and my plan was to pay for my housing with loans. Will i have a problem getting approved to rent the apartment? How exactly do i go about renting like this? Would i need my parents to take primary ownership?

thanks for the help

If the apartment building is near your medical school, they've probably dealt with this a ton of times. They'll (gladly) accept student loans, because that's guaranteed income for you. Some places may require a cosigner though. You would still be the only resident of the apartment.

You'll probably need 2-3 months worth of rent to put down though (for security deposits and such), and you may need to do this before your loans comes in.

thanks for the help

From what I hear at med school interviews you should always mention that you are a medical school student. It seems to go a long way in making you seem trustworthy.

I do, however, think that you will have to go through a basic credit check and if you don't have good credit they might make you have a co-signer (i.e. your parents). I think this will also largely depend from whom you rent and where. Businesses renting apartment complexes will always cover their asses...mom and pop's backyard studio might let you get away without credit history and deposit.

Good luck finding a place!