Question about GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll248

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Is there anyone who can answer my questions about GPA calculation?

I repeated a general biology course two times so my final grade is A.
My initial grade was D and the second grade was C+.
What do I have to put in the "Course Grade" and "Repeated Grade"?
Am I supposed to put D in the Course Grade and A in the Repeated Grade?
And what would my grade for the bio class be?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I would say yes. I had repeated my Physics I class. I put the grade I initially got and the repeat grade. But when i was calculating my GPA, I used all the grades that I made. I did not exlude the C b/c I repeated the class (repeated and got an A). I don't know if that is how the school do the GPA calculation or not. If the schools excluded the C then my GPA was higher than I thought. Put in all your info b/c the schools will see it anyway from your transcripts. If they ask about your grade in a interview then you can explain at that time. I haven't had anyone ask me about grade in a class, just my MCAT score.

You may want to talk to the Admissions office at the schools you are interested in. They will be able to give you a better idea of how they look at repeated courses, GPA calculation, etc.

It would be helpful to see how your GPA is broken down on your app, like the dreaded AMCAS(allo schools) does. Maybe that is something the application service may do in the future.

:luck: luck

Hi!

The way that it is worded on the app is confusing, isn't it? The initial grade is in the first column; the repeat grade in the second. I would put the final grade as the repeat grade, but you have to use all three grades for your gpa calculation. I took general bio ten years ago, got a B, but retook it before taking general two and got an A, but then I put them in the wrong columns on my app, so they called me (the app service) the next day to verify...since the dates are required it is obvious to them when you took it. They are very friendly about it. Good luck...and when in doubt, call them cuz like I said, they are really nice!