Question about GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caereax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but I looked around on the forum and couldn't find it asked before (great auto-search feature built into the "new topic" form, by the way).

Anyhow:

What does your cumulative GPA consist of, exactly? Is it the entirety of every class you've ever taken? Or are the courses which comprise your most recent 45 units and your science pre-reqs excluded?

Members don't see this ad.

What does your cumulative GPA consist of, exactly? Is it the entirety of every class you've ever taken? Or are the courses which comprise your most recent 45 units and your science pre-reqs excluded?

It is not a stupid question.

GPAs are all calculated independently of each other, so they are exactly what they sound like. A cumulative GPA is every class on your transcripts. A last-45 credits GPA is every class starting from today and going back through the semester in which you hit 45 credits (including all classes that semester; so your last-45 really ends up being last 45-55 or thereabouts). A prerequisite GPA is a GPA calculated using that vet school's list of prerequisite classes.

The last one (prerequisite) can be tough to figure sometimes. Things like "organic chem" are straightforward, but like with the UMN they have a requirement for things like social sciences .... it's not clear to me how they pick which classes to use because they came up with a different number than I did.

The other factor would be re-taking classes. Schools have different policies on how to figure those.

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize the GPAs overlapped like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not clear to me how they pick which classes to use because they came up with a different number than I did.

How does one find out what calculations were made by individual schools? Do they include such information in acceptance/rejection letters?

How does one find out what calculations were made by individual schools? Do they include such information in acceptance/rejection letters?

You usually have to call and ask, if you want them to be specific. Some schools, like LSU, have it on their website.