Question about GRE and disabilities

Started by ACTxstate
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ACTxstate

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was young and took many years of classes to help me compensate for it. I function at a high enough level that I never needed to be registered for extra help in highschool or college. However, the GRE is a test where my dyslexia does leave me at a disadvantage and I feel I need to ask for disability for the test in order to get a higher score to get into a DPT program.

1. How do I get re-diagnosed to prove to ETS I need the extra time for the test?
2. Will it hurt my chances at getting into a program if I claim a disability for GRE?
 
I was diagnosed with dyslexia when I was young and took many years of classes to help me compensate for it. I function at a high enough level that I never needed to be registered for extra help in highschool or college. However, the GRE is a test where my dyslexia does leave me at a disadvantage and I feel I need to ask for disability for the test in order to get a higher score to get into a DPT program.

1. How do I get re-diagnosed to prove to ETS I need the extra time for the test?
2. Will it hurt my chances at getting into a program if I claim a disability for GRE?

1. A quick goole search revealed a lot of this information - here is one PDF that may be helpful: https://www.ets.org/s/disabilities/pdf/documenting_learning_disabilities_quick_reference.pdf the thing you may have against you is that you haven't needed services for the past ~8ish (assuming 4 years of high school and 4 of college) so I'm not sure if your history will be good enough for the accommodation....but thats something for ETS to decide I guess

2. Pretty sure thats illegal (programs can't just throw out an application for a disability claimed - look up American's with disabilities act (ADA) and reasonable accommodation)
 
Giving a student lower priority for admission because they had used accommodations for the GRE due to a disability would be highly illegal. Every school would tell you they don't do this, hopefully they really don't. It is possible that having a bad score will lower your chances of course, but there is no reason that having used testing accommodations should.