question about harvard extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailToTheThielf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok....first, is the harvard extension school only for people who decided to change their career into medicine or is it also for pre-meds that already graduated, have all the pre-reqs and just wants to improve his/her GPA?
second, can you apply for the spring semester or is it only for fall semester?
third, what are the requirements to gain acceptance into the program? Do you have to have a certain GPA? MCAT? Thanks alot! Sorry for the lame questions....I tried the search button but couldn't find answers to any of these questions. Thanks again everyone, been very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Anyone, regardless of background and career goals, can register for the classes at HES.
2.) Right now you can only register for fall classes. The spring semester registration will be available later in the year.
3.) What do I need in order to apply to the Health Careers Program at HES?
[ ] Strong GPA
[ ] Great MCAT
[X] $100

Of course, the first two options will make your life easier if you want sponsorship. Read this for more info: Sponsorship at HES.

Hope this helps.

Jays2Cool4u :cool:

HailToTheThielf said:
ok....first, is the harvard extension school only for people who decided to change their career into medicine or is it also for pre-meds that already graduated, have all the pre-reqs and just wants to improve his/her GPA?
second, can you apply for the spring semester or is it only for fall semester?
third, what are the requirements to gain acceptance into the program? Do you have to have a certain GPA? MCAT? Thanks alot! Sorry for the lame questions....I tried the search button but couldn't find answers to any of these questions. Thanks again everyone, been very helpful!

HailToTheThief, there are no lame questions, but plenty of lame answers!

To get the straight dope you should call Owen Peterson at the Health Careers Office (# should be on the Extension School website).

I have taken bio, orgo (both night school and summer school varieties in fact), and general chem at HES.

I can tell you that anyone can simply sign up for a course and take it; they don't seem to care who or what you are. I met a woman in general chem for example who is a beer brewer and needed chemistry for her license. I met a woman who wants to be a horse doctor, and someone else who is a nutritionist. But 90% of the people are premed, for sure.

HCP will let you into the premedical program for $100 and an application and all your prior transcripts, but they promise nothing in return. If you get at least a B in your courses and manage at least 30 MCAT, they'll sponsor you, i.e. create a composite letter of recommendation and do lots of bureaucratic stuff on your behalf.

However don't expect any touchy-feely "I know you can do it!" type of support. They won't tell you any white lies. If you're not a strong applicant, they'll tell you so rather bluntly, and it's up to you to take the information and use it as you wish. It's hard on the ego but better in the long run than someone giving you false expectations, I suppose.

As for schedules, this information is all up on the HES website. In brief, no, they don't offer courses in the middle of the year. There's exactly one prof for each course (physics, chem, orgo, and bio) and they teach a two semester course that starts in the fall. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice guys but Im still confused. I already graduated with a major in Bio and minor in Chem. So I already have taken Bio1 and 2 orgo, chem, physics, etc... Actually my grades in those classes weren't so bad! I mostly got B's except for c's in orgo 1 and 2 and chem 2. I just always got a D or a bunch of C's in classes that I hated through out my undergrad years such as history, math, bunch of electives that I never gave two ***** about. Very young and stupid! So, I really would not want to attend a program that gives the basics sciences to apply to med school since I ve taken them. I would only really have to take 3 science classes over that I recieved C's in. So my question about the Harvard extension program, is because I would like to take some upper division courses such as immunology, dev bio, anatomy etc... I would probably retake orgo as well. Thats why I ask if you can apply for the spring for the extension program because Immun, dev bio, only consists of one part unlike bio and chem which require 1 AND 2. Due to my circumstances, should I just go to a nearby state school and take some upper division courses? I really have no idea what to do! I thought about applying to the harvard extension program because it seems cheap, especially if I can get a job with harvard, and is a good school. Also I wouldn't mind living in Boston again! So Im really looking at just taking about 6-8 classes to improve my GPA. So is the harvard program not for me?? Any advice? Thanks guys, really appreciate it! OHHH, one last thing! WTF, whats the deal with these post bac programs that are made for improving ones GPA, BUT you need a f***ing 3.95 to get in???????????? Whats the point of going to raise my GPA by 2 tenths of a point? I mean, some of these programs advertise "GPA enhancement" but then you need a 3.5 and a 35 on the mcat???????? Its the stupidest thing Ive ever heard of! Man, if I had a 3.5 GPA and 28 or 29 on MCAT, what the ******** pt in going to a post bac????? Some of these programs really piss me off. Alright, sorry, just needed to vent! Feel better now. Good luck people with your goals!

HailToTheThielf said:
thanks for the advice guys but Im still confused. I already graduated with a major in Bio and minor in Chem. So I already have taken Bio1 and 2 orgo, chem, physics, etc... Actually my grades in those classes weren't so bad! I mostly got B's except for c's in orgo 1 and 2 and chem 2. I just always got a D or a bunch of C's in classes that I hated through out my undergrad years such as history, math, bunch of electives that I never gave two ***** about. Very young and stupid! So, I really would not want to attend a program that gives the basics sciences to apply to med school since I ve taken them. I would only really have to take 3 science classes over that I recieved C's in. So my question about the Harvard extension program, is because I would like to take some upper division courses such as immunology, dev bio, anatomy etc... I would probably retake orgo as well. Thats why I ask if you can apply for the spring for the extension program because Immun, dev bio, only consists of one part unlike bio and chem which require 1 AND 2. Due to my circumstances, should I just go to a nearby state school and take some upper division courses? I really have no idea what to do! I thought about applying to the harvard extension program because it seems cheap, especially if I can get a job with harvard, and is a good school. Also I wouldn't mind living in Boston again! So Im really looking at just taking about 6-8 classes to improve my GPA. So is the harvard program not for me?? Any advice? Thanks guys, really appreciate it! OHHH, one last thing! WTF, whats the deal with these post bac programs that are made for improving ones GPA, BUT you need a f***ing 3.95 to get in???????????? Whats the point of going to raise my GPA by 2 tenths of a point? I mean, some of these programs advertise "GPA enhancement" but then you need a 3.5 and a 35 on the mcat???????? Its the stupidest thing Ive ever heard of! Man, if I had a 3.5 GPA and 28 or 29 on MCAT, what the ******** pt in going to a post bac????? Some of these programs really piss me off. Alright, sorry, just needed to vent! Feel better now. Good luck people with your goals!

It sounds like what you need is more like an SMP, or to take some upper division classes at a local state school. Post-baccs are for non-science majors or career switchers.

You can do upper levels at HES. However you can also do them as you suggested at your local schools. The only advantage to you it seems would be the sponsorship should you apply and meet the requirements. As the other poster suggested, call Owen Peterson, one of the directors and talk to him. His information is available on the HES website. That is the only realistic and time friendly way of sorting out your issues. He is very helpful.

have you considered Georgetowns special masters program? Majority of the classes you take are MS1 classes.

tacrum43 said:
Post-baccs are for non-science majors or career switchers.

Not true -- lots of people do postbacs to rehabilitate past subpar grades and take upper level stuff. However in the OP's case, since he is unlikely to do the health careers program/sponsorship route, I would suspect taking courses at his local state school would be a more affordable, equally high yield option as relocating to Cambridge for HES. I agree with Sundarban as to the best next step.

Law2Doc said:
Not true -- lots of people do postbacs to rehabilitate past subpar grades and take upper level stuff. However in the OP's case, since he is unlikely to do the health careers program/sponsorship route, I would suspect taking courses at his local state school would be a more affordable, equally high yield option as relocating to Cambridge for HES. I agree with Sundarban as to the best next step.

Really? Hmm. Okay then.

Well good luck to the OP in any case.

are all of the classes evening classes for the HCP?

cmb81 said:
are all of the classes evening classes for the HCP?

Yes, at least the core classes are.

ok, how hard is it to get a job at harvard so that I can get a discount for the classes? Also, I was looking for apartments in boston and they all seem to be about $1100-1200 per one bedroom/studio. Thats kind of expensive for me right now. I used to attend UMASS and my rent was about $1300 but my parents were helping out. Nnow that Im thinking of attending the extension program, I dont know if I can afford the living in Boston. How do you guys do it (for those that pay everything on their own)? Ive read that you can find one bedromms in cambridge for ~$700-800 a month. Where?? I remember when I used to live in Boston, most of my friends who had a $1000 a month apartment had like a frickin closet basically!! They were so so small. So, is that pretty much expected in cambridge. Paying $1000 for a closet? Can someone tell me about their places they have, the rent, and how big? Are they close to harvard? I just want to know if its possible to go to the extension school, get a job and afford to live on your own. Im pretty sure I can get my parents to help pay for school, but living, Im on my own! Is it possible to find a one bedroom or studio thats at least slightly spacious and close to the T line. Specificly close to Harvard? I dont know man, I remember it was SUPER expensive living in Boston! It was worth it though! Thanks everyone!

HailToTheThielf said:
ok, how hard is it to get a job at harvard so that I can get a discount for the classes? Also, I was looking for apartments in boston and they all seem to be about $1100-1200 per one bedroom/studio. Thats kind of expensive for me right now. I used to attend UMASS and my rent was about $1300 but my parents were helping out. Nnow that Im thinking of attending the extension program, I dont know if I can afford the living in Boston. How do you guys do it (for those that pay everything on their own)? Ive read that you can find one bedromms in cambridge for ~$700-800 a month. Where?? I remember when I used to live in Boston, most of my friends who had a $1000 a month apartment had like a frickin closet basically!! They were so so small. So, is that pretty much expected in cambridge. Paying $1000 for a closet? Can someone tell me about their places they have, the rent, and how big? Are they close to harvard? I just want to know if its possible to go to the extension school, get a job and afford to live on your own. Im pretty sure I can get my parents to help pay for school, but living, Im on my own! Is it possible to find a one bedroom or studio thats at least slightly spacious and close to the T line. Specificly close to Harvard? I dont know man, I remember it was SUPER expensive living in Boston! It was worth it though! Thanks everyone!

I just got a full time job at MGH and I live in central square where I pay roughly $1100 to live in a spacious carpeted 1BR on my own. Its 1 T stop to school and 2 to work and I live only 1/2 block from the T. Basically what it boils down to is that even if you do get a job at Harvard, your going to need 1 or 2 roommates if you plan on living close to the red line 2. One reason for this is that Harvard research jobs pay crap full time, if you work part time, double crap. Luckily I have a few good years of research under my belt and I was able to ask for the right salary to allow me to live alone close to the T. Next year I might try to live with a roommate to save for the whole med school process. My advice would be to first find a good job and then look for housing. Its quite tough to find good jobs and affordable housing now towards the end of summer because all the students are coming back resulting in more competition. But, feel free to PM me if you need help. Anything for a fellow radiohead fan! Also, there is a "boston living" thread in this forum that offers good advice so check it out.