Question about hobbies for application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to determine what I just lost hobby wise. I was told ADCOMS like to see what makes applicants unique from their hobbies.
I have posted about one of my hobbies before (tattooing) and was advised not to include it in my application. What do you guys think about these though:

- golf (Taught me patience)
- Collecting trading cards
- Weight lifting
- fishing
- surfing
- long range shooting (1500+ meters) I figure this is probably not a good idea to add
- Drag racing (Always at a drag strip where it is legal)
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Golfing, weight lifting, fishing, and surfing are probably the "safest" since people don't have extreme views on it. Collecting trading cards would be interesting and unique. I think the others can be framed in a positive light but it's always better to err on the side of being more conservative in case people have strong views.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha really idc about hobbies unless they are super unique. Pretty sure everyone writes a combo of fishing, hiking, cooking, and photography lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I would include the unique stuff. as above, I couldn't care about specific hobbies unless someone has a unique hobby that I also have an interest in, then that person jumps up in my book and I will more easily converse with them. drag racing is unique and people who aren't familiar may ask about it making it an easy conversation piece.

if they put it as a hobby though and I ask them about it and it becomes apparent that they don't actually know what they are talking about, that person drops like a lead balloon in my mind.

I would include the unique stuff. as above, I couldn't care about specific hobbies unless someone has a unique hobby that I also have an interest in, then that person jumps up in my book and I will more easily converse with them. drag racing is unique and people who aren't familiar may ask about it making it an easy conversation piece.

if they put it as a hobby though and I ask them about it and it becomes apparent that they don't actually know what they are talking about, that person drops like a lead balloon in my mind.

Right, I am very transparent. I only list things I am very familiar with. I am just nervous about listing things that could be a negative aspect, like shooting long range, tattooing, I was unsure about drag racing. I know a lot of the doctors I work with that share the same hobbies like shooting and drag racing but My area is very country.

as someone who has full sleeves, I would say leave out the tattooing and shooting. you don't want to negative stuff if you can avoid it. play the game until you get in. my sleeves were very hidden on my interviews. but definitely list the drag racing. as someone who was a mechanic and still into cars, when I come across someone who also likes cars, it is the easiest interviews I do, hands down. golf and weightlifting are a dime a dozen. same with running and cooking. it isn't unique so people blow it off. or if you rattle on about weight lifting you become a meathead. so focus on the unique stuff that you know well.

as someone who has full sleeves, I would say leave out the tattooing and shooting. you don't want to negative stuff if you can avoid it. play the game until you get in. my sleeves were very hidden on my interviews. but definitely list the drag racing. as someone who was a mechanic and still into cars, when I come across someone who also likes cars, it is the easiest interviews I do, hands down. golf and weightlifting are a dime a dozen. same with running and cooking. it isn't unique so people blow it off. or if you rattle on about weight lifting you become a meathead. so focus on the unique stuff that you know well.

Thank you for the words of wisdom! I will definitely add the racing portion! I just hope that no one gets offended that I am an import type of guy haha

Thank you for the words of wisdom! I will definitely add the racing portion! I just hope that no one gets offended that I am an import type of guy haha
Now that’s unacceptable. Rejected

• Haha
Now that’s unacceptable. Rejected

I like all fast cars, but there’s something about the twin turbo z32 that brought me to the dark side and ever since I haven’t been able to claw my way back out.

I like all fast cars, but there’s something about the twin turbo z32 that brought me to the dark side and ever since I haven’t been able to claw my way back out.

I can respect that, but the 2018 dodge demon makes me feel things I shouldn't feel. there is no sound like detroit muscle.

Reactions: 1 users
I can respect that, but the 2018 dodge demon makes me feel things I shouldn't feel. there is no sound like detroit muscle.

Yea that’s a bad car!!!! One day I’ll be able to afford one

I am trying to determine what I just lost hobby wise. I was told ADCOMS like to see what makes applicants unique from their hobbies.
I have posted about one of my hobbies before (tattooing) and was advised not to include it in my application. What do you guys think about these though:

- golf (Taught me patience)
- Collecting trading cards
- Weight lifting
- fishing
- surfing
- long range shooting (1500+ meters) I figure this is probably not a good idea to add
- Drag racing (Always at a drag strip where it is legal)
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I'd accept you simply for being a drag racer!