question about ICO residential complex

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blobs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be attending ICO in august 2008. Just had a few questions about the RC (and housing in general):

1) Do you think the meal plan is worth it? Looks like its $1330 for 17 "meals"/week for around ten or twelve weeks a quarter, which breaks down to $7 or $8 per meal. That seems kind of stiff for cafeteria food... what does it include? Burger, fries, and a drink? Unlimited eating buffet-style? Sandwiches? What counts as a "meal"? meaning, if you got a glass of milk for breakfast, that counts for a meal as much as a full dinner would? Do most students find the need to supplment their diet with outside food if they purchase the 17-meal meal plan?

2) Is there a kitchen in the RC complex with a stove? If not, is it allowed to bring a portable stove for use in the kitchen?

3) How much is utilities in chicago/month if you live in an outside apartment? I live in a warm climate right now so I have no idea what heating costs can run in a cold place like chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

one more thing.... the ico site says that there's a "gas barbecue" available in the RC. is it the type where people can use pots and pans on it?

Hi,

I'm going to be attending ICO in august 2008. Just had a few questions about the RC (and housing in general):

1) Do you think the meal plan is worth it? Looks like its $1330 for 17 "meals"/week for around ten or twelve weeks a quarter, which breaks down to $7 or $8 per meal. That seems kind of stiff for cafeteria food... what does it include? Burger, fries, and a drink? Unlimited eating buffet-style? Sandwiches? What counts as a "meal"? meaning, if you got a glass of milk for breakfast, that counts for a meal as much as a full dinner would? Do most students find the need to supplment their diet with outside food if they purchase the 17-meal meal plan?

2) Is there a kitchen in the RC complex with a stove? If not, is it allowed to bring a portable stove for use in the kitchen?

3) How much is utilities in chicago/month if you live in an outside apartment? I live in a warm climate right now so I have no idea what heating costs can run in a cold place like chicago.

The cafeteria is unlimited buffet-style, and yes if all you had was glass of milk that would technically count as one of your meals unless you paid for it seperately. I can't comment on the food itself since I haven't realy eaten there since I lived in the RC two years ago. Back then it was run by a different company... and absolutely terrible.

The RC does have a common kitchen with stove and everything you'd need.

Most apartment in Chicago are older, and as such don't have independent heating systems, therefore most of the time it will be included in your rent. As for air conditioning, I generally spend about $40-60/mo during the summer to cool a large south facing studio. Electricity is my only utility, and its generally about $25/mo when I'm not using the AC.

one more thing.... the ico site says that there's a "gas barbecue" available in the RC. is it the type where people can use pots and pans on it?

Its just like a propane grill out on the patio, you wouldent really use pots and pans, more for steaks and burgers. There is a kitchen indoors with everything you would need if cooking is your thing