question about ICO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueyes321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to ICO. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the safety of the area where the school is located. I was only there for a day or so and didn't have a car so I didn't get a good look at what the surrounding area was like. Do you feel that it is relatively safe? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's relatively safe. If you go south a few blocks, it gets pretty sketchy. I lived in the RC last year, and there were more or less no incidents. Security is pretty good, the RC itself is a fortress, to get to your room you have to pass thru 2 layers of security camera coverage, a student at a desk (at night), and two sets of doors, the final one requires both your keycard and PIN to open. That said I wouldn't recommend walking around the neighborhood at night for any reason (crossing the street to get into the school is perfectly safe).

In practice you never go wandering around the area anyway, especially if you have a car There just isn't anything to do. If you are leaving the confines of the school, you are gonna be cabbing it to better areas of the city anyway.

Use your judgment, its not a super bad area, but its not exactly stab or be stabbed either.

Congrats! Can you tell me about the interview? Thank you. GOod luck to you.

I was recently accepted to ICO. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the safety of the area where the school is located. I was only there for a day or so and didn't have a car so I didn't get a good look at what the surrounding area was like. Do you feel that it is relatively safe? thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s relatively safe. If you go south a few blocks, it gets pretty sketchy. I lived in the RC last year, and there were more or less no incidents. Security is pretty good, the RC itself is a fortress, to get to your room you have to pass thru 2 layers of security camera coverage, a student at a desk (at night), and two sets of doors, the final one requires both your keycard and PIN to open. That said I wouldn’t recommend walking around the neighborhood at night for any reason (crossing the street to get into the school is perfectly safe).

In practice you never go wandering around the area anyway, especially if you have a car There just isn’t anything to do. If you are leaving the confines of the school, you are gonna be cabbing it to better areas of the city anyway.

Use your judgment, its not a super bad area, but its not exactly stab or be stabbed either.

How far is the bus stop or train that runs near there? Is it safe lets say after 11pm from campus to the bus stop/train station?

Bus stop is directly in front of the RC.

nearest train station is at IIT, maybe 2 or 3 blocks?

would not really recommend either after 11pm. especially the Train. If you live off campus, you will very rarly be at the school that late, unless you really like studying in the library