Question about Immunohistochemistry

Started by Fortyfive
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fortyfive

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello,

Why do tissue sections stained with an antibody show up dark brown/red? I don't understand why they would be colored. Shouldn't they be clear because antibodies are colorless?

For ex:
http://static.enzolifesciences.com/fileadmin/files/image/ADI-950-112_IHC.gif
http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/jpeg2/AIDS011.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...human-Xenograft-Immunohistochemistry_HER2.png

I understand the basis behind immunofluorescence and I know why you can get colorful images. If someone could help me understand how the colors in the previous images are produced, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
 
The principles are the same.

In immunofluorescence the secondary antibody (that binds to the primary antibody that binds to the protein/target of interest) has a fluorescent tag (FITC, Cy5, Texas Red, etc.) that you can see under a specific wavelength of light.

In immunohistochemistry, the secondary antibody is conjugated to a enzyme (eg. avidin-horseradish peroxidase) that reacts with an substrate (eg. 3,3'-diaminobenzidine) that produces color that is visible to the naked eye.
 
Last edited:
Ohh, thank you so much! I never learned about conjugated substrate/enzyme reactions. I will read more about it. My histology professor never explained why there were colors. I appreciate your explanation! Thank you again!