Question about internship

Started by Alex G
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Alex G

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty sure that I have an internship at a local private practice (I started Weds), but I've been reading more about it and it looks like it's more something that grad students and post-grads do? I'm a freshman in college. I also read that it's supposed to be paid and as far as I know I'm not being paid. Around the office I'm referred to as the intern and I gave them an application and a resume but never filled out any paperwork, so I'm wondering if I maybe got the terms confused? Can someone help me clear up what exactly I'm doing? 😕
 
I'm pretty sure that I have an internship at a local private practice (I started Weds), but I've been reading more about it and it looks like it's more something that grad students and post-grads do? I'm a freshman in college. I also read that it's supposed to be paid and as far as I know I'm not being paid. Around the office I'm referred to as the intern and I gave them an application and a resume but never filled out any paperwork, so I'm wondering if I maybe got the terms confused? Can someone help me clear up what exactly I'm doing? 😕

I think you'll have to talk to them about it! Pre-vet internships aren't really standardized or anything, so it's up to your internship coordinators to let you know the scoop. Sorry. 🙁
 
Semantics. In medicine, an internship is the first year of post-graduate training. In other words interns are doctors. But other people started using the term to refer to pretty much anyone hired as part of a training program ... so you have high school students doing an "internship" at a magazine publisher and so on.

It's similar to "veterinary technician". Technically, a veterinary technician is a licensed graduate of a 2+year program in veterinary technology. But a lot of times, people refer to the high school kid helping out as a "vet tech".

The problem with all this is it is confusing to clients. I've heard clients say "I don't want to see an intern, I want to see a doctor."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Semantics. In medicine, an internship is the first year of post-graduate training. In other words interns are doctors. But other people started using the term to refer to pretty much anyone hired as part of a training program ... so you have high school students doing an "internship" at a magazine publisher and so on.

It's similar to "veterinary technician". Technically, a veterinary technician is a licensed graduate of a 2+year program in veterinary technology. But a lot of times, people refer to the high school kid helping out as a "vet tech".

The problem with all this is it is confusing to clients. I've heard clients say "I don't want to see an intern, I want to see a doctor."
Not just confusing to clients but to me as well! I'm glad I figured this out before proudly sending an adcomm a list of my "internship" duties. So what would this probably be? Volunteer work?
 
Yeah I would say it's just volunteer work. Technically a true internship is the year in between receiving your DVM and beginning your residency.