Question about interviews in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LongPigeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I have not been to any interviews yet I would like to pose this question to all of you out there that have had interviews.

Regarding one-on-one or two-on-one (two interviewers and one interviewee) interviews, It seems to me that interviews are commonly 30-40 minutes long. So how many questions do they generally ask you? I am wondering about it because I would like to know how long I should prepare my answers to be.

From the interview feedback section, people at most listed three questions, but I think that's probably because they were only given space to list three questions on the feedback form.

So, could people please share the number of questions they have been asked at their interviews? It'd be great too if you could comment on how long you took to answer.

Thanks to everyone for helping out!

Members don't see this ad.

Since I have not been to any interviews yet I would like to pose this question to all of you out there that have had interviews.

Regarding one-on-one or two-on-one (two interviewers and one interviewee) interviews, It seems to me that interviews are commonly 30-40 minutes long. So how many questions do they generally ask you? I am wondering about it because I would like to know how long I should prepare my answers to be.

From the interview feedback section, people at most listed three questions, but I think that's probably because they were only given space to list three questions on the feedback form.

So, could people please share the number of questions they have been asked at their interviews? It'd be great too if you could comment on how long you took to answer.

they just keep asking until they get to know you

but you should provide good enough answers for them to get a good idea of you.

I don't think you can/should necessarily gauge how long each of your answers are going to be. In the same respect, every interviewer is going to be different. At my Michigan interview, it was 5 20-minute interviews back-to-back. Some of the interviewers asked one or two questions, and then we just talked about different things (one guy talked to me about football for like 10 out of the 20 minutes, I don't know anything about football so I just pretended:) ), and other interviewers had a list of questions that they wanted to get through. It really depends on the interviewer, and on how you interact with them. As long as you are genuine, honest and friendly you'll be fine :)
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

There is no set number of questions the interviewers will ask you. They (interviewers) will generally ask you until they have a good idea on how you communicate/carry a conversation. The number of questions also depend on whether or not the interview is an open or closed file interview. If you have more questions, feel free to pm. Good luck.

Depending on the school, I was asked 3 questions by one school, 8 questions by another school, and >20 by another. They were all really friendly though. No negative interviewers :)

Thanks for all of your comments, guys! more than 20 questions, really? :scared:

I am going to my first interview next Friday. So nerve racking right now, but hopefully once I'm in the place my excitement will help me to overcome it!

most, if not all, of the questions you will encounter will be open ended questions, so you can basically answer them any way you want, but try to avoid yes and no answers.

Typically I got to answer about 5 questions in 30 minutes of interview time, but again, it depends on the individual.

expressmail-- mind if I p.m. you? i'm curious about your UCSF interview, since it's my top choice =)

There is no set number of questions the interviewers will ask you. They (interviewers) will generally ask you until they have a good idea on how you communicate/carry a conversation. The number of questions also depend on whether or not the interview is an open or closed file interview. If you have more questions, feel free to pm. Good luck.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I was trying to figure this out in the interview feedbacks but couldn't either. What is meant by open or closed file interview?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I was trying to figure this out in the interview feedbacks but couldn't either. What is meant by open or closed file interview?

Open means the interviewer got to see your application. Closed is where they don't have any info about you except your name and maybe where you are from. Closed are typically more common.