Question about interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iambatman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to 10 schools, and so far I've recieved one interview. Do you think chances are, that I'd recieve other interviews? I mean, how many people have applied to 10 schools, and recieved just one interview?

Secondly, how many interview invites do you think you need, until you know that your Golden, as in you know you will at least get into one of the school you applied to. There must be some kind of odds. I thought I'd be something like three to four interviews for every one acceptance, right?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be sure about interviews guaranteeing acceptance. Two years ago I had 3 interviews and was waitlisted at each school. I applied again to 7 schools this time and have 3 interviews again... still waiting to hear about interviewing at the other 4... GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you are right about 3 or 4 interviews=one acceptance... but as the old saying goes, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

mitechgrl said:
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Or, don't hatch your chickens before you count. Good luck to you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
mitechgrl said:
I wouldn't be sure about interviews guaranteeing acceptance. Two years ago I had 3 interviews and was waitlisted at each school. I applied again to 7 schools this time and have 3 interviews again... still waiting to hear about interviewing at the other 4... GOOD LUCK!!! I hope you are right about 3 or 4 interviews=one acceptance... but as the old saying goes, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

you certainly have what it takes to get into dental school on paper (with 3 invites from last year), but (if you don't mind me asking), what do you think went wrong with the interviews?

iambatman said:
you certainly have what it takes to get into dental school on paper (with 3 invites from last year), but (if you don't mind me asking), what do you think went wrong with the interviews?

i don't necessarily think anything went wrong with the interview...after the interview, schools still look back at your stats...and your stats, to be frank, aren't really that great...

r0entgen said:
i don't necessarily think anything went wrong with the interview...after the interview, schools still look back at your stats...and your stats, to be frank, aren't really that great...

I would have to say that they would only look back at your stats if your interview wasn't great. The interview is meant so people like myself can show that we are more than numbers. I don't have great stats either but I have a unique "story" to tell that separates me from the rest. If you're sincere about Dentistry, it will naturally show during an interview. I strongly believe that if you nail the interview, regardless of stats, you will and should be accepted. Dental schools inviting you to an interview shows that they are very interested in you. I liken it to a job interview. You don't get one unless they are interested in you. In almost every case, if you present yourself well, show your value to the company, and you are everything they are looking for, it would be hard-pressed not to hire you.

Generallee said:
I would have to say that they would only look back at your stats if your interview wasn't great. The interview is meant so people like myself can show that we are more than numbers. I don't have great stats either but I have a unique "story" to tell that separates me from the rest. If you're sincere about Dentistry, it will naturally show during an interview. I strongly believe that if you nail the interview, regardless of stats, you will and should be accepted. Dental schools inviting you to an interview shows that they are very interested in you. I liken it to a job interview. You don't get one unless they are interested in you. In almost every case, if you present yourself well, show your value to the company, and you are everything they are looking for, it would be hard-pressed not to hire you.

I highly doubt that. Of course people with lower stats do get in but, the interview usually is just a formality. Most people should be able to convey their thoughts and so the interview should be a wash. Stats are the most important thing overall. Of course, you get the odd person with a 4.0 who's the biggest idiot in the world and an odd person with a 3.0 that is so well spoken and charasmatic that they'll make the interviewer forget about his/her weak stats...but that's not the case usually.

That being said, everyone who has an interview has a shot but, you're wrong if you think that at the interview stage, the slate is whiped clean and everyone is at the same level. It's the overall package and GPA and DAT are the main components.

PS your stats aren't bad.

Audio said:
I highly doubt that. Of course people with lower stats do get in but, the interview usually is just a formality. Most people should be able to convey their thoughts and so the interview should be a wash. Stats are the most important thing overall. Of course, you get the odd person with a 4.0 who's the biggest idiot in the world and an odd person with a 3.0 that is so well spoken and charasmatic that they'll make the interviewer forget about his/her weak stats...but that's not the case usually.

That being said, everyone who has an interview has a shot but, you're wrong if you think that at the interview stage, the slate is whiped clean and everyone is at the same level. It's the overall package and GPA and DAT are the main components.

PS your stats aren't bad.

You bring out very good points...I guess it's a matter of opinion...

Audio said:
PS your stats aren't bad

Thanks! That means a lot. But I guess I have to nail the interview!

nothing's "golden" and set in stone until you have that acceptance letter in hand.

go and rock that interview.

Did the three interviews happen before or after the 1st of Dec? Also did you have a degree at the time? I think the interview is an important part for the admissions commitee, at least I would hope so because I would hate to spend all that money for a formality. If you don't make a fool of yourself you should get an acceptance because they don't interview people unles they are serious about accepting them. Just my .02 cents.

My DAT was only so-so when I interviewed at the three schools previously. I didn't have a state school and two of the interviews were at out of state schools (U MICH, and U MINN) which is a huge down fall. The other interview was at a private school (MARQ, which I lived in WI). No I didn't have a degree at the time, but I was a senior in college getting my degree in the spring. Here is the kicker, I interviewed for 4 jobs and got offers at all 4. I have a hard time believing that it was my interview technique that didn't get me into the schools, I truly believe it was my stats. But this time I improved my DAT from an 18 AA to a 20AA so that should make a huge difference. Still a 3.6 GPA.

Also when you interview I think is important as well.

If you interview post december your fighting for a lot less spots. It comes down to gpa and DAT.

i had 4 interviews 2 before december and 2 after and was waitlisted at 5 schools. The fifth being Creighton, which doesn't interview.

I asked if it was my interviewing skills, there answer was no. Straight up answer was when they compared me to other students I was just average.

19 Dat and 3.1-3.2 ish gpa.