question about interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrutie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post and I have a question that has been troubling me for the past week, I have just recieved an interview to LECOM bradenton, I have studied the questions asked in the forum display and it seems bradenton is pretty cut and dry, this is my first interview and my question is, do the interviewers throw any type of science, anatomy, questions at you, or is it all personality questions.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

labrutie said:
Hello all, this is my first post and I have a question that has been troubling me for the past week, I have just recieved an interview to LECOM bradenton, I have studied the questions asked in the forum display and it seems bradenton is pretty cut and dry, this is my first interview and my question is, do the interviewers throw any type of science, anatomy, questions at you, or is it all personality questions.

Thanks for the help

Nope, no science, anatomy type questions. Mostly personality.

labrutie said:

Thanks for the help

DEFINITELY KNOW THE BRACHIAL PLEXUS!

;) Just kidding. :laugh:

Interviews at LECOM-B are very laid back. The questions are as you say "cut and dry", so it might behoove you to make your answers as interesting as possible. I have never been asked any science knowledge questions at LCOM-B or any other interviews.

One of the interview questions involves summarizing a short article which they give you to read before the interview - you get plenty of time and can even take notes on it. (You can't take your notes into the interview) The article really is easy and doesn't require you to bring any knowledge - just read it carefully and hit the main points.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
labrutie said:

Thanks for the help

It's pretty much what you have read at SDN. The best way to handle it, though, is to anticipate the questions in advance and try to "lead" the interview into areas where you are more comfortable. At the end of question one, for example, try to work in another question from the list and they will usually "follow" along. They usually have a plan going into the interview and changing things around catches them off guard. That also breaks down some of the barriers between you. Remember that you only have 30 minutes in the 2 on 1 interview because there are other people waiting. If you engage them in the conversation, then you will probably run out of time long before all the questiones are "asked". You can actually "guide" things along toward your own agenda if you have the confidence to do so.

My interview there was really laid back. I actually got to just chit chat with the interviewers because of the direction my interview ended up taking. You get to see which interviewers you will be interviewing with before you go into the interview and what they do at the school, so that helped me with the chit chat. One of the guys I interviewed with was in Neuroscience and I've done quite a bit of research in the area and majored in it in undergrad, so we started just talking about that at one point in the interview. I did hear, however, from one of the people who was at LECOM-B with me that her interviewers asked her strange questions about chemistry! She thought they were trying to see if she could switch from social work to med school with young kids and all. *shrugs* I think it normally follows the protocol. They standardize their interviews so that all of the interviews are equally as "hard". This way they can adequately compare one interview assesment to another and more fairly decide on candidates. Good Luck! It's beautiful down there :)

labrutie said:
I have studied the questions asked in the forum display

Dumb question - is there an interview forum? I have heard others mention it before, but I can't seem to find it??? :(

lainey234 said:
Dumb question - is there an interview forum? I have heard others mention it before, but I can't seem to find it??? :(

There is an interview feedback source. Go to http://www.studentdoctor.net/index.asp and on the left hand column click on medical school interview feedback.

labrutie said:

Thanks for the help
I agree with the other replies here, but I wanted to add that some of the knowledge-based questions can come from other areas of study. For instance, I studied Classics and was asked about my favorite myth. It's a tad dizzying being asked something like that when you're expecting science-related questions. So I guess this is all to say that you may get a question or two seemingly out of left field. I think they just want to make sure that your application is accurate and that you can communicate. Best of luck to you! :luck: