Question about Kaplan 08-09 book

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by sashagrl259, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sashagrl259

Pharmacy Student
    I'm currently studying for the PCATs from the newest Kaplan book (08-09) and sometimes there are calculations that seem kind of hard to do without calculator in a reasonable amount of time. For example, in the chemistry section I had to multiply (22.4)(1/2)(318/273). Does rounding and approximating usually work? Also, do you get a periodic table?

Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GatorGirl87

Pre-Pharmacy
    I haven't taken the PCAT yet, or even tried the practice tests, but I had the same problem with the Kaplan book. I remember the exact problem you are talking about, among others. My guess is that if one problems calculations take a little longer to do, some of the other problems should be short to make up for the time. Then again, that is just my guess I really can't say for sure.

You don't get a periodic table. From what I've heard, just worry about knowing the numbers for the important elements like C,O,H,N, and maybe a few others. I also noticed Kaplan kind of assumed you knew the numbers for odd-ball elements, but according to everyone I spoke to, the test won't throw that at you.

4. sakigt

sakigt Junior Member

Pharmacist
    My rule of thumb: If its too difficult to do without a calculator, it probably isnt on there.

Exception: Ideal Gas law

GatorGirl, which campus you trying to get into? Im praying for Jax.

5. GatorGirl87

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm hoping for the Gainesville campus! Good luck!

6. Farcus

Pharmacist
    are you guys talking about the UF extension in jax? I actually live in jack too, except i go to uga :D