Question about Kaplan 08-09 book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sashagrl259

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently studying for the PCATs from the newest Kaplan book (08-09) and sometimes there are calculations that seem kind of hard to do without calculator in a reasonable amount of time. For example, in the chemistry section I had to multiply (22.4)(1/2)(318/273). Does rounding and approximating usually work? Also, do you get a periodic table?

Thanks!!
 
I haven't taken the PCAT yet, or even tried the practice tests, but I had the same problem with the Kaplan book. I remember the exact problem you are talking about, among others. My guess is that if one problems calculations take a little longer to do, some of the other problems should be short to make up for the time. Then again, that is just my guess I really can't say for sure.

You don't get a periodic table. From what I've heard, just worry about knowing the numbers for the important elements like C,O,H,N, and maybe a few others. I also noticed Kaplan kind of assumed you knew the numbers for odd-ball elements, but according to everyone I spoke to, the test won't throw that at you.
 
My rule of thumb: If its too difficult to do without a calculator, it probably isnt on there.

Exception: Ideal Gas law

GatorGirl, which campus you trying to get into? Im praying for Jax.