Question About Laparoscopic Procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOC_CVT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone with some insight and experience could please provide some information on the instruments available to a surgeon at the time of a laparoscopic procedure.

For instance:
  • What determines the type of cannula used (eg. cross, flip, washer, ball, etc.)?
    • Is this predominantly dependent on the surgeon's preference?
    • Is this more procedure-specific?
  • During a procedure, are there different kinds of cannulas, trochars, and/or grasping instruments available to the surgeon?
Perhaps obviously, I do not know much about these types of procedures, but am looking to learn more!

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone with some insight and experience could please provide some information on the instruments available to a surgeon at the time of a laparoscopic procedure.

For instance:
  • What determines the type of cannula used (eg. cross, flip, washer, ball, etc.)?
  • During a procedure, are there different kinds of cannulas, trochars, and/or grasping instruments available to the surgeon?
Perhaps obviously, I do not know much about these types of procedures, but am looking to learn more!

In most cases, it would be dependent on what company the hospital has contracted with to provide surgical supplies. There are surgeon preferences which may dictate what is provided; for example, for access to the abdomen some may prefer a Hasson, a Veress or a Visiport.

There are different sized ports (generally a cannula and trocar together), camera sizes and angles, and loads of instrument to dissect, cut, cauterize, tie, etc. with.

Hello!

For instance:

The procedure/surgeon determines what to use.

There are a ton of different instruments. Usually cholecystectomy/appendectomy laproscopically is done by poking 3 holes in the abdomen, one for the camera, and two for the instruments. I'm no expert on all the different instruments, sorry.