Question about LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syelo83

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question for you about LECOM School of Dental Medicine in Bradenton Florida. How does the hands-on clinical training happen in the 4th year? They say "the entire fourth year devoted to community-based primary care clinics in Defuniak Springs, FL, as well as in Erie, PA." Do you actually have to relocate or you have to commute between Bradenton - Defuniak Springs or Bradenton - Erie? Most of the dental schools still have some courses running between the clinical rotations in the 4th year, so I am just wondering how it works at LECOM. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You move to either Defuniak Springs, FL or Erie, PA for your 4th year training.

Look up where these locations are vs Bradenton, FL and you will see that commuting is not a possibility.

Thanks Knewstance... I didn't mean commuting. Most of the dental schools still have some courses running between the clinical rotations. 1-3 weeks of courses and 3-4 weeks of clinical training. It would be insane to commute!

Are you actually attending LECOM? If so, how do you feel about their program?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not attending LECOM, I chose against attending there for this exact reason. Other than moving during the 4th year, I really do like their program.

Hi. I'm sure your question has been answered already but to confirm, yes you will either have to relocate to Defuniak, FL or Erie, PA for your fourth year. This is why LECOM typically admits an equal amount of people from the north and from the southeast because they are able to go to either for their fourth year. You get to pick though, based on location preference vs time preference (morning or afternoon clinic shifts, since 4th years only work half days all week.) Students say they usually get their top preference.

Hi. I'm sure your question has been answered already but to confirm, yes you will either have to relocate to Defuniak, FL or Erie, PA for your fourth year. This is why LECOM typically admits an equal amount of people from the north and from the southeast because they are able to go to either for their fourth year. You get to pick though, based on location preference vs time preference (morning or afternoon clinic shifts, since 4th years only work half days all week.) Students say they usually get their top preference.
Thank You Empach1! I have been extremely fortunate as I got accepted by several dental schools. While I absolutely love the location of LECOM, I cannot ask my husband to relocate twice because of school. I truly appreciate your response though!