Question about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AntonFreeman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been shadowing/working for a doctor about 6 months. I have asked him for a letter of recommendation and he agreed to write me one. But I am not sure if I have impressed him enough to write me a good letter. I say this because he has given me advice like I should try to be more assertive, and don't apologize for things that I didn't do. It has been a good experience working for him and I do appreciate the advice that he has given me. I am just not sure how potentially bad or bland letter from MD would affect my application.
 
I have been shadowing/working for a doctor about 6 months. I have asked him for a letter of recommendation and he agreed to write me one. But I am not sure if I have impressed him enough to write me a good letter. I say this because he has given me advice like I should try to be more assertive, and don't apologize for things that I didn't do. It has been a good experience working for him and I do appreciate the advice that he has given me. I am just not sure how potentially bad or bland letter from MD would affect my application.

I would think of this as a nice supplemental letter - but don't hang your hopes on this particular letter.

My general advice is that letters of recommendation are best from people who have interacted with you in a learning environment/academic setting. Of course if the professor is also an MD/DO/etc that went through medical/dental/etc school, then they can speak with a little more authority. Don't lose sight of the function of LORs - to provide a (presumably) objective evaluation of your suitability for medical school.

A strong letter from a PhD tenured professor saying "She/he is one of the top 10 pre-medical students I have ever taught in my 20 years as a undergraduate pre-medical instructor..." would hold much more weight than a doc who you volunteered or worked for.

This is my humble opinion, of course. Best of luck!
 
Perhaps you should rephrase the question to him: "Dr X, do you think you could write a GOOD LOR for me?"


While they are very rare, a bad LOR is a kiss of death for your medical school career.



I have been shadowing/working for a doctor about 6 months. I have asked him for a letter of recommendation and he agreed to write me one. But I am not sure if I have impressed him enough to write me a good letter. I say this because he has given me advice like I should try to be more assertive, and don't apologize for things that I didn't do. It has been a good experience working for him and I do appreciate the advice that he has given me. I am just not sure how potentially bad or bland letter from MD would affect my application.
 
I did ask him to write me a "positive letter" maybe I am just being paranoid. Would it bad to not submit a letter from him at all? if school sees that I worked for him for 6+ months, and don't have a LOR from him? I will have 3 science prof letter and a committee letter from my post-bac program