-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
question about LOR
Started by coralfangs
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Dude, just have them use Interfolio. Seriously. Sign up for an account ($15), print out the barcode form (you need a special form for each reviewer) and tell them to mail/fax their letter into Interfolio. This way you can dispatch the letters (confidentially too, you can set up a closed file) yourself. I wish I had done this sooner--I set up an account as a back-up when my original letters were lost.
Only problem is that it costs at least $4 every time you send out your LORs. Still, you can pick and choose which letters you want to send where, and it saves the hassle of having to go back to your professors or whoever each time you need another recommendation.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$4 really isn't that much if you think about it (i know we are all suffering from lighter wallets right now). if you sent just 3 letters, it would be at least $1.17 for postage. then factor in buying envelopes and taking the time to address and stamp them. then you have to get them to your writer (very tricky if they are not in the same city as you). on top of that you have the stress of keeping it all straight in your head and the stress that comes when a letter is lost in the mail. then you have to do it all over again. if you couldn't tell, i am a fan of interfolio 😀 good luck
Ah the beauty of having a pre-med committee that does all of it for you for free. 🙂
gapotts2003 said:Ah the beauty of having a pre-med committee that does all of it for you for free. 🙂
😛
jackieMD2007 said:Dude, just have them use Interfolio. Seriously. Sign up for an account ($15), print out the barcode form (you need a special form for each reviewer) and tell them to mail/fax their letter into Interfolio. This way you can dispatch the letters (confidentially too, you can set up a closed file) yourself. I wish I had done this sooner--I set up an account as a back-up when my original letters were lost.
just wanna make sure how it works...
i set up the account --> my profs mail to that interfolio
the company actually KEEEPS the LOR, right?
and i just tell them where to send afterwards?
is it legit?
what if each school has different form to fill out?
Check out my General Applicant FAQ. I have a whole Interfolio section.
The only school I know of that has a separate form is UPitt, and they don't need it if it is coming from a letter service (like Interfolio).
The only school I know of that has a separate form is UPitt, and they don't need it if it is coming from a letter service (like Interfolio).
coralfangs said:just wanna make sure how it works...
i set up the account --> my profs mail to that interfolio
the company actually KEEEPS the LOR, right?
and i just tell them where to send afterwards?
is it legit?
what if each school has different form to fill out?
I don't know about actually sending the LOR to schools, so I can't help you there. But once your prof sends the LOR to Interfolio, with your waiver or barcode or whatever it is, they'll put it into a huge computer system, and you'll be able to see the file (but if you waived your right to see it, you won't see what's contained in the file, just that the file is there), and you can designate where to send which letters and when. It costs $5 to ship them by regular mail, and $4 to send them electronic to your school. It is legit, many people use it.
ahhhhhh
u guys all use it?
u guys all use it?
coralfangs said:ahhhhhh
u guys all use it?
i do 😀 was going to do it all myself but looked into it and saw how simple it was. much easier on your writers too
It has been a lifesaver for me--one of my letters got lost a few places, and now because of Interfolio's overnight service--I should be file complete at 6 of my top-choice schools by Friday. 🙂
Profs like it because they only do one, and then you don't have to bug them anymore. Wish I had done it this way to begin with but OH WELL! Lucky for me my other letters arrived places like they should. But you never know.
Profs like it because they only do one, and then you don't have to bug them anymore. Wish I had done it this way to begin with but OH WELL! Lucky for me my other letters arrived places like they should. But you never know.
Our university highly recommends it, and I think the University of Colorado Med school is going to start accepting only electronic LORs... not completely sure, though.