question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zellyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dunno if this works for dentistry or not but it works for optometry apps (was looking into optometry too)

does the LOR HAVE to be by a professor? cuz in optometry, i was allowed to get one from a TA/assistant and have it cosigned by the professor

i am not sure if dentistry allows this

any info would be greatly appreciated
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I used a letter last year from a TA that was cosigned by a professor and the department head and it was okay, but I would use a letter from a TA only if you absolutely cannot get another letter from a professor.

in many cases it has to be a professor, sometimes you even need 2-3 from profs.

a good eqn for LORs is: 2 science Profs, 1 dentist you shadowed, 1 "professional other"-->research, job, or volunteer related

the aadsas app only lets u upload 4 LORs.. this grouping worked for me

my smallest sci course had 100+ ppl in it, go to office hours and make a recommendation happen, you sitll have time. I dunno what the deal with committee letters is but if your school has those i would look into that

Members don't see this ad :)
can the volunteer/job letter be something other than science related things?

in many cases it has to be a professor, sometimes you even need 2-3 from profs.

a good eqn for LORs is: 2 science Profs, 1 dentist you shadowed, 1 "professional other"-->research, job, or volunteer related

the aadsas app only lets u upload 4 LORs.. this grouping worked for me

my smallest sci course had 100+ ppl in it, go to office hours and make a recommendation happen, you sitll have time. I dunno what the deal with committee letters is but if your school has those i would look into that

same here!
i did 3 research projects, so not a single LOR is from a class prof :(, but i got no choice. Many of my classes were around 500-1000 students. very few were under 300. None under 150 :(.

I just got back from advising, and they told me that letters from TAs were completely acceptable, especially is the class sizes are so large and you are not able to interact with the professor.

I was wondering the same, I guess Ill be hitting up my bio lab TA. shes just amazing. Next semester I have to get in good with a few of my professors also since Ill have a few smaller class size science classes.

Minnesota, for example, told me directly that I needed a science PROFESSOR from a course that I took, couldn't even be a research professor (to fill the mandatory "sci prof" LOR requirement, that would be okay for the "other" requirement).

It doesn't have to be science related job/volunteer LOR... Mine wasn't and I got plenty of interviews. I wouldn't have your boss at the restaurant or mall write it tho haha...

Finally, even if other schools do accept a TA, I don't think it will be as strong as a prof...even if they do know you better and can write a better letter. Take the time and figure out some way to get to know your prof.. I come from a very big school as well.