Question about malpractice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChandutheMagici

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few specific questions about malpractice that maybe some of you could answer for me.

Here's the hypothetical...

Let's say you get sued 3 times in one year. Let's say each time it's for a bogus reason. Reasons like the patient improperly associated a bad outcome with negligence.

Here's the question...

Will your malpractice go up even if it's not your fault? What if you're just unlucky? I know with car insurance and what not, it always goes up. I'm just wondering what's the case with malpractice.

If the answer is no...

Do not read the "If the answer is yes" section

If the answer is yes...

Is that fair?
Does that drive up the cost of health care all around?
Basically, are we screwing ourselves by being so sue happy and then complaining about the high cost of health care?

Chandu

P.S. - Thank you for reading my own choose your own malpractice adventure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I'd like to know too.

Malpractice insurance rates for an individual doctor are usually not adjusted for the number of lawsuits (or outcomes) that doctor experienced. Generally, they vary by state, specialty, and insurance provider.

The reason doctors are so averse to being sued is that they generally have to pay $10,000 right away as a deductible, and the whole process is an enormous hassle. Also, there is a risk, albeit a small one, that a jury could award a judgement above the cap for the insurance plan, forcing the physician to give up everything he or she worked for and go into bankruptcy.

IIs that fair?
Does that drive up the cost of health care all around?
Basically, are we screwing ourselves by being so sue happy and then complaining about the high cost of health care?

P.S. - Thank you for reading my own choose your own malpractice adventure.

Not sure, but I don't think you can call it unfair. If a doctor is being sued more often than his peers, it likely is a problem with the doctor, as opposed to unlucky. It might have nothing to do with making mistakes, but just being a jerk and a dick.