Question about MCAT expiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i believe mcat scores are good for three years, yes?

Say I took the mcat in July 2014. That means I'd have four app cycles to get in? I'd apply in June of the 2017 cycle, which would be a month shy of my three year expiration. Is my understanding correct?

Members don't see this ad.

So i believe mcat scores are good for three years, yes?

Say I took the mcat in July 2014. That means I'd have four app cycles to get in? I'd apply in June of the 2017 cycle, which would be a month shy of my three year expiration. Is my understanding correct?

Your last year of using that MCAT would be the 2016-2017 cycle. Beyond July of 2017 means the three year mark has hit and has technically "expired". Many schools will put you on hold until you retake it. Reason being us three years is a long time to dictate your cognitive ability is the same based on that score.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you want to submit a MCAT when you are applying in 2017 for starting med school in 2018. Take MCAT a year prior to your application so that if you really have to take it a second time you can do it before applications.You want to submit apps as soon as the data for submission opens so that you are early. So study for the new MCAT and take the test in 2017 January and May (if you need to again). Schools may not like it if you submitted the old MCAT.

Why do you want to submit a MCAT when you are applying in 2017 for starting med school in 2018. Take MCAT a year prior to your application so that if you really have to take it a second time you can do it before applications.You want to submit apps as soon as the data for submission opens so that you are early. So study for the new MCAT and take the test in 2017 January and May (if you need to again). Schools may not like it if you submitted the old MCAT.

I've already taken the mcat and have a very solid score. I'm just concerned I'll be a re applicant multiple cycles...mainly because I'm neurotic but....well there is no but. I'm just neurotic.