Question about MCAT scoring..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGLombardi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the MCAT and I think I made a foolish error which cost me a couple questions. Will two more questions wrong cause a point difference between an 8 and 9 or a 9 and 10? Also, if it does, will one point on my total score really matter when applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to make a continuation of this question by asking: are all questions worth the same? For example in order to get a 10 on a section, does that mean you must have answered 2/3 of the questions correctly? Or are certain questions more difficult and therefore are worth more than others?

Members don't see this ad :)
certain questions are more difficult (obviously), but every question is weighted equally. Each correct question gets you one point and an incorrect question gives you 0 points. That's why it is often advised to not be afraid to skip hard questions and put down random answers if you don't finish a section.

For example in order to get a 10 on a section, does that mean you must have answered 2/3 of the questions correctly? Or are certain questions more difficult and therefore are worth more than others?

Good question, I have been wondering this also. Usually when I complete a set of passages from my TPR science workbook or EK 101 Verbal I convert my score by doing #right/#questions total and multiply by 15 to kind of see where my scores are. I'm not sure if this is accurate though...