Question about Medical College Admission

id2017

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year Everyone,

I am a High School (Grade 11) student in US. I am also a US Citizen. I want to become a medical doctor in future. I want to study in England (planning for either Oxford or Cambridge) for my undergraduate degree. Based on my research, the undergraduate degree in England is 3 years course and a student picks a subject and studies for next 3 years. For example, if you take Biology, then you only study Biology and no other subject.

If I study in England, then it seems that I won't be able to meet all the following requirements for medical college:
4 semesters of chemistry with lab,
2 of biology with lab,
2 of physics with lab,
2 of math
2 of English

In addition, won't be able to meet minimum credit requirements since UK has 3 years degrees.

I am taking AP Chemistry and AP Language and Composition in 2017, have already completed AP Biology and AP Psychology last year, and will be taking AP Physics and AP Calculus in 2018.

Now let me come to my questions:

1. Does anyone in this forum know anyone in same situation and was able to successfully meet the requirements? Can I be able to use AP scores to show that I meet the above requirements? or Is there another way to meet minimum requirements?

2. Are there any advantages and disadvantages of studying outside of the country and becoming a doctor?

Based on my reasearch, it seems that US Medical Colleges preferred US educated students than students who have studied outside the country but I am unclear if it is true for every university outside of USA. I am looking for advice if it is worth exploring this option or I would be better off studying in US and go to England for a year during one of my undergraduate years. I noticed that several colleges have this option available.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go to MS in the US, you should do your ugrad in the US or canada as it will be WAY easier to make the switch.

Why not just go for the BM in the UK? When I was applying I actually did that and was fortunate to have gotten accepted to edinburgh and oxford for the mbbs, but you'll have to take the BMAt and all of that, which in the US i think theres only like 6 sites to take. While it would make coming back to the US to practice a pain in the arse, I'm willing to wager that RD's probably arent as biased against a school like oxford medical school.

Also I'm pretty sure you cant apply to oxford AND cambridge on UKCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Benjamin for your response. Based on my reserach on the web, which is in initial stages right now, the medical degrees ouside of US are not preferred for all US residencies.

Thank you Benjamin for your response. Based on my reserach on the web, which is in initial stages right now, the medical degrees ouside of US are not preferred for all US residencies.

They are not. If you want to practice in the US, you need to go to med school in the US to maximize your chances for residency. Additionally, many schools actually require a certain amount of coursework to be done in the US to apply (not that Oxford is a bad school by any stretch, but they like that you studied in the US for their own reasons). So be aware of this should you choose to go that direction, that you might have to do additional pre-med course work back here in order to apply to US med schools.