Question about Microbiology relevance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I did do a search and didn't seem to find any answers relevant to what I'm about to ask, if you do find one, please make sure it is specific to what I'm asking and post the link;

I'm preparing to apply to PA programs for the 2013 Fall semester. Thing is this: I took Microbiology at a community college before transferring to the university I am currently attending. The microbiology did have lab with it, but total it was only 3 credit hours. I'm seeing where the pre-req for most PA programs has Microbiology listed, but then says 4 credit hours with lab(but mine did have lab so that part doesn't matter).

I was curious if my 3 credit hour microbiology would be acceptable or should I just not apply to these schools? Additional information: In order for me to take Microbiology at my university I would first have to take Cell biology, and it is a prereq, they're both spring courses, I don't have the financial aid left from FAFSA to take an additional year just for that one course.
Should I try to take a 4 hour course at a community college? What do y'all think?

Thanks, and if I did overlook a post with this exact same question and situation some where I'm sorry.
-Zeto

Members don't see this ad.

The microbiology did have lab with it, but total it was only 3 credit hours. I'm seeing where the pre-req for most PA programs has Microbiology listed, but then says 4 credit hours with lab(but mine did have lab so that part doesn't matter).

I was curious if my 3 credit hour microbiology would be acceptable or should I just not apply to these schools? Additional information: In order for me to take Microbiology at my university I would first have to take Cell biology, and it is a prereq, they're both spring courses, I don't have the financial aid left from FAFSA to take an additional year just for that one course.
Should I try to take a 4 hour course at a community college? What do y'all think?

Hi Zeto,

This would be a good question to call and ask the admissions departments of the specific schools you're looking at. For something like that, I wouldn't want to wing it and hope for the best without a really informed decision. However, I'm guessing they're going to tell you that you have take a micro class that's 4 credits.

Could you find a neighboring school- a state school or something- where you could take the 4 credit version?

Another tactic would be to talk to your own school and explain you've already taken it and will be re-taking it, so maybe they will grandfather you with the pre-rec requirement. In fact, I bet that's your best bet... aim for polite persistence. If your registrar won't allow it, maybe try to get the professor of the class or department chair to help you make it happen.

Would be annoying to set yourself back an entire year over this... good luck!

Cheers,
bean

Thank you for the response, and the ideas. I hadn't considered asking them if they would allow me to retake the 4 hour course and use the 3 hour course as a credit, of sorts.

I appreciate it, if any one else has any ideas or suggestions please let me know
-Zeto