Question about MPH in Health Management vs MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

general987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have been stalking the forums and asking mentors about the difference between the MPH in health management versus the MBA. As a background, I want to get involved in healthcare administration (as far as how high I am not sure), however I would rather do the 1 year option for the MPH if it means I save a year. However I understand the MBA is more "prestigious". Does this serve as a fact or opinion in the healthcare management world? I am told that both give the same foundations needed to run management effectively. What are all of your takes on it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think MBA is far more expensive and rather emphasize the business side of things.
Mph in health management !! I am not sure how useful is that
I believe a master in healthcare management is the best option for a career in healthcare administration.

Thanks for the input. Why don't you think a healthcare management concentration for the MPH is not as useful as the MS in health care management?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe
Mph healthcare management/administration
- wider scope, population approach
- fits better with public health and governmental agencies
Master healthcare management/administration
- more focused scope, business and strategic side
- fits better with hospital/health services settings

And since you mentioned MBA I therefore concluded that your goal is a career in hospital or healthcare industry sector

I do not think you are looking at this in the right way although most persons do look at it that way and most of the opinions you will get may conflict with mine.

The question is what are you interested in, are you more interested in learning the content areas of an MBA or a MPH in health management? Because they are very different. I know executives in healthcare administration who have variety of degrees, including degrees you have not mentioned. When you are working in administration, you are bringing value to the table (otherwise you would not be hired). The skill sets that you could potentially bring are different than others. You will need a common background, but I would not think of it as what is the minimum you need to get in, or how are others going to look at it? At the end of the day you have to complete the degree and if it's not in your main interest area you are not going to do as good of a job and will not be able to distinguish yourself anyway. If I am interviewing a candidate I am not going to look at is it an MPH or an MBA, I am going to look at what skills this person has, is there a passion, the quality of the educational institution you came from, letters of recommendation, and several other things (do you have experience as a practicing physician beyond residency). If I see someone who clearly does things so that they can be more "marketable," then it's a rung down in my estimation.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not think you are looking at this in the right way although most persons do look at it that way and most of the opinions you will get may conflict with mine.

The question is what are you interested in, are you more interested in learning the content areas of an MBA or a MPH in health management? Because they are very different. I know executives in healthcare administration who have variety of degrees, including degrees you have not mentioned. When you are working in administration, you are bringing value to the table (otherwise you would not be hired). The skill sets that you could potentially bring are different than others. You will need a common background, but I would not think of it as what is the minimum you need to get in, or how are others going to look at it? At the end of the day you have to complete the degree and if it's not in your main interest area you are not going to do as good of a job and will not be able to distinguish yourself anyway. If I am interviewing a candidate I am not going to look at is it an MPH or an MBA, I am going to look at what skills this person has, is there a passion, the quality of the educational institution you came from, letters of recommendation, and several other things (do you have experience as a practicing physician beyond residency). If I see someone who clearly does things so that they can be more "marketable," then it's a rung down in my estimation.

I can't agree more.

I know some top health executives who don't even have a master degree .