question about my USMLE Step 1 Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucbdancn00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey people..

was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/advice with regards to my step 1 studying; I'm taking the test June 15th (as of now) and would love to break a 230-240

i'm using the kaplan lecture notes (reading through them, trying to retain as much as possible) at the same pace as the kaplan lecture class

after it ends; i'm planning on reviewing BRS path/ HY Gross/Neuro

Then i want to review it all with emphasis on first aid

I'm doing questions every night and annotating first aid; then on weekends i'm going to be doing mock exams (randomized questions from qbank)

Do you think this'll work? I started out qbanking at like 63% (150 random question diagnostic on May 8th)

def appreciate the advice.

ucb

Members don't see this ad.

bumpity bump..

please, anyone got some words of wisdom and/or reassurance?

would definitely appreciate it

yo. give yourself a good week to 10 days to cram first aid real well, and to go over some more practice questions. once you go over stuff once, cramming FA during the last few days is a good way to go. i personally think HY anatomy is LY. instead i did anatomy questions from rapid review USMLE, which i think was better for my sanity. HY neuro is great. focus on the pictures.

i'm not familiar with the kaplan materials other than qbank. if the kaplan materials are similar to the HY series, then you should be good. just make sure you don't neglect memorizing first aid just to read the kaplan materials. i spent a lot of time reading HY books and put off FA for a while, which probably wasn't the greatest thing to do. about qbank, i'm not a huge fan of it but i do think it's necessary. 63% on random 150 is pretty good... it means you probably have a good factual foundation. keep in mind though that USMLE tests on a lot of manipulation of these facts, so qbank isn't always the best indicator.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucbdancn00 said:
hey people..

was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/advice with regards to my step 1 studying; I'm taking the test June 15th (as of now) and would love to break a 230-240

i'm using the kaplan lecture notes (reading through them, trying to retain as much as possible) at the same pace as the kaplan lecture class

after it ends; i'm planning on reviewing BRS path/ HY Gross/Neuro

Then i want to review it all with emphasis on first aid

I'm doing questions every night and annotating first aid; then on weekends i'm going to be doing mock exams (randomized questions from qbank)

Do you think this'll work? I started out qbanking at like 63% (150 random question diagnostic on May 8th)

def appreciate the advice.

ucb

Your initial q bank sounds pretty good. The best gauge of your progress is yourself-evaluate often what your weaknesses are. As you do questions, it matters less whether you get them right/wrong - ask yourself #1 is this a high yield topic, #2 how well do I understand it.

With about 2 weeks to go, I made a 'punchlist' i.e. a list of what my weaknesses were and I focused on those.

remember to know the core stuff first, then branch out to the lower yield.

good luck

thanks automaton and mac...

definitely appreciate your words of wisdom; if you don't mind me asking...how did you two do?

i guess one thing that worries me is that after taking the a 2nd NBME comprehensive shelf (after finals), i was barely about a 200 equivalent..

hence, i'm trying to keep calm....but want to make sure i do my best to get between a 230-240.

what do you think?

thanks

ucb