question about NBME exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmartdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are NBME practice tests for USMLE STEP 1 that we can take online by purchasing from their website are what their site now refers to as "Comprehensive Basic Science Exams"? Also, is there still a provision to take an NBME practice exam at a prometric center that simulates the real thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Are NBME practice tests for USMLE STEP 1 that we can take online by purchasing from their website are what their site now refers to as "Comprehensive Basic Science Exams"?

Yeah.

Also, is there still a provision to take an NBME practice exam at a prometric center that simulates the real thing?

Idk.

i have a similar question the comprehensive basic science exam at the prometric has the same content of nbme online or contain other question?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i have a similar question the comprehensive basic science exam at the prometric has the same content of nbme online or contain other question?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Students at my school have taken formalized diagnostic exams at testing centres before, and as far as I'm aware, they were the actual NBME exams that you could take at home. I recall one of them having mentioned having taken a specific one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it does but I am in the process of registering for a date so I will let you know if they say anything during the registration process.

Are NBME practice tests for USMLE STEP 1 that we can take online by purchasing from their website are what their site now refers to as "Comprehensive Basic Science Exams"? Also, is there still a provision to take an NBME practice exam at a prometric center that simulates the real thing?

Yes, those are the NBME exams. The prometric one is not, I haven't heard of the option to take an actual NBME as your prometric practice.

The prometric "practice" exam is actually the USMLE Free 150 (from the actual USMLE writers). I took it about a month ago. The testing format and question style is more like the actual exam than the NBMEs are (not necessarily difficulty). It's apparently a decent predictor, according to many, and MedFriends.

To take a practice prometric you'll still need to go through the NBME site using your Step 1 registration and then get a Step 1 practice exam session confirmation. I think it's about $55.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the helpful replies.
CDI -- I found a link on the NBME site for what you are referring to. The things is that I am an IMG who has already completed the application to take the exam through ECFMG, I have a scheduling permit but I just haven't scheduled my exam. I couldn't find a pertinent link on the ECFMG page to schedule a CBT. Would I still go through the NBME site to take a practice test?

Thanks all for the helpful replies.
CDI -- I found a link on the NBME site for what you are referring to. The things is that I am an IMG who has already completed the application to take the exam through ECFMG, I have a scheduling permit but I just haven't scheduled my exam. I couldn't find a pertinent link on the ECFMG page to schedule a CBT. Would I still go through the NBME site to take a practice test?

I'm an IMG as well, no issue though. (I took the practice in the US, however, I don't think it matters where you take it.)

The practice test sign-up is available here:
https://apps.nbme.org/CBTPSRegistrationWeb/jsp/usmle_CBTPS_registration.jsp

Yes, those are the NBME exams. The prometric one is not, I haven't heard of the option to take an actual NBME as your prometric practice.

The prometric "practice" exam is actually the USMLE Free 150 (from the actual USMLE writers). I took it about a month ago. The testing format and question style is more like the actual exam than the NBMEs are (not necessarily difficulty). It's apparently a decent predictor, according to many, and MedFriends.

To take a practice prometric you'll still need to go through the NBME site using your Step 1 registration and then get a Step 1 practice exam session confirmation. I think it's about $55.

Free-150, really? I feel like that would give people a false impression of the exam, because those questions are a lot easier than even the NBME ones.

Free-150, really? I feel like that would give people a false impression of the exam, because those questions are a lot easier than even the NBME ones.

Sorry, I guess I should've clarified. That's what I meant when I wrote "not necessarily difficulty"...they are easier.

I was referring to the physical interface being the same. The real exam 'appearance' is more like UWorld/Free 150, than it is like NBME. I was skeptical about how good a predictor they are but I've read many saying that they put them in the right ball-park. Maybe it holds more true to lower/average scorers than higher scorers. After all, it's only 150 questions and I think on my printed score sheet only like ~133-135 were actually counted towards the final % (not sure why that was the case).

That being said, I wouldn't really use that to judge where I stand. I took it for the sole purpose of figuring out the testing center situation/timing, breaks, etc, as I haven't taken a prometric center test in nearly 15 years.

Last edited:
Do you get question feedback after completing the NBME? Does it give you a score report? Trying to see how I would fit these into my test prep schedule.

If you pay for the extended feedback version, $10 more, yes.

You get feedback showing your subject-based performance and can figure out your weaker subjects.

You're able to see your incorrect questions by subject or overall and go back to review them after.

I just registered to sit for my practice exam in April and it says the duration is 3 hours and 30 minutes. I don't understand how that is going to simulate the real exam.

1-7, 11, 12, 13, 15....for a total of 11......note that 1-5 are now offline. ... and also people are saying that 15 is more representative of the real thing in terms of question length.