Question about NBME Shelf Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitra101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the scale is for basic science shelf exams is (such as biochem, physio, path, etc)? I know there are 125 Qs, but is it out of 800 points or more or less? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bump....anyone? bueller?

yeah, the maximum gross score is 800 on the shelf. Somewhere on that NBME website I also read that scoring an 800 on the shelf puts you in the same percentile range as people who score >265 on the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
are their Q's mostly clinically oriented or Q's like "what molecule attaches to X molecule" ?

also i'd love if someone could give me a good breakdown of what to expect on the histology/cellbiology shelf. i've heard its a very tough shelf exam. i already know BRS is suppose to be good for it.

are their Q's mostly clinically oriented or Q's like "what molecule attaches to X molecule" ?

also i'd love if someone could give me a good breakdown of what to expect on the histology/cellbiology shelf. i've heard its a very tough shelf exam. i already know BRS is suppose to be good for it.

There is a breakdown for each shelf exam on the NBME website. All of the questions are retired USMLE questions so that can give you a better idea of format.

Psipsina, do you see any info about how the exam is scored or data or anything of that nature?

We take NBME mini-boards here at NYMC. We don't get to see the raw scores, just our scaled scores, so I can't comment on how they're scored.

The questions are phrased in a number of ways. Generally it will either be a straight up knowledge question (B12 is a cofactor in which of the following:) or a clinical correlate. In the clinical questions it will generally give you a few pertinent facts and then ask you a straight up subject question in the last line (Pt presents w/ symptoms...which vitamin is deficient?). Multiple guess, up to 125 questions. They usually test at about the level of detail that BRS comprehensive exams test to.

Don't sweat about the histo shelf. I took it yesterday and it was pretty straightforward. You should be fine using BRS histo/cell bio. I used USMLE Roadmap Histology by Sheedlo, which I found to be very good for the shelf. I just took the neuroscience shelf today and im my opinion I thought it was a very tough test. My classmates thought so too and we all felt like we were punched really hard in the stomach after finishing that exam. Physio on Friday and Anatomy and Biochem next week.

two questions:
1) what are shelf exams
2) when do you take them

From what i can gather, they're subject exams that should cover material that is gained within the first 2 years of med school, but I'm kinda of clueless otherwise. Thanks

Psipsina, do you see any info about how the exam is scored or data or anything of that nature?

Our biochem proffessor is the only one who has explained anything yet. He said that we would be scored agains everyone else who took the same version of our test, that there would be multiple versions like the MCAT. Then that the NBME would make a bell curve from all the national scores (for that version) and make the peak a certain score (can't remember exactly) and then that my school would adjust that peak to be an 82 for the class.

two questions:
1) what are shelf exams
2) when do you take them

From what i can gather, they're subject exams that should cover material that is gained within the first 2 years of med school, but I'm kinda of clueless otherwise. Thanks

Shelf exams are subject exams made of retired USMLE questions provided by the NBME. Some schools use them as finals, others do not. Its supposed to give you practice applying your preclin knowledge to a USMLE type test.

you know how there are data tables for the MCAT and that we all know it is out of 45 possible points, well, are there data tables for the NBME subject exam? Does anyone know how many possible points one can get on the subject exam? I have heard 800 is max, but someone on my class (our high score) has a 980, so I dont think 800 is right. Anyone know?

Don't sweat about the histo shelf. I took it yesterday and it was pretty straightforward. You should be fine using BRS histo/cell bio. I used USMLE Roadmap Histology by Sheedlo, which I found to be very good for the shelf. I just took the neuroscience shelf today and im my opinion I thought it was a very tough test. My classmates thought so too and we all felt like we were punched really hard in the stomach after finishing that exam. Physio on Friday and Anatomy and Biochem next week.

yeah i have the sheedlo book as well so its good to know it helps.

i also got an anatomy shelf coming up to.

but the thing is i don't know what to make of that NBME site with the distribution of topics, especially in anatomy. It says a lot of anatomy shelf is going to cover musculoskeletal and cardio. However, I've heard from students that have taken the shelf before say that ABDOMEN bloodsupply is the most highly tested topic.

whats everyone elses take on the topics tested on histo and anatomy shelf?