Question about neuropsych research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just had my orientation for the neuropsych lab I'll be RA'ing in (in addition to continuing the qualitative stuff I did last semester), and due to scheduling issues (the availability of 2 hour time blocks), I might not get to run as many participants through the testing as I would otherwise, though I'll almost definitely run some... Other than running participants, what activities would look good? Scoring for inter-rater reliability? I've been told to avoid data entry because it'll look bad to grad schools, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just had my orientation for the neuropsych lab I'll be RA'ing in (in addition to continuing the qualitative stuff I did last semester), and due to scheduling issues (the availability of 2 hour time blocks), I might not get to run as many participants through the testing as I would otherwise, though I'll almost definitely run some... Other than running participants, what activities would look good? Scoring for inter-rater reliability? I've been told to avoid data entry because it'll look bad to grad schools, right?

It would be great if you could help with data analysis (if you understand statitics and can interpret data output). As an undergrad RA, you will likely enter data at some point. It's just part of being low person on totem pole. I enter loads of data as a graduate student.

In all honesty, I'd never turn down an opportunity given by a professor. It is expected that as a team member, you will do what is needed to complete the project. As an example, when I was an undergrad working in a neuropsychology lab, my duties were to run participants through a research protocol as well as enter the data into SPSS. However, I got very good at the protocol we were using and instead was able to pass on the data entry to another team member and focus solely on data collection. Then I was the lab manager responsible for training new RAs to run the protocol, enter data, etc. You've got to pay your dues before you can do the really neat stuff so don't be upset if you initially have to enter some data. But also, don't let data entry be the only thing you do.

I got to reminiscing about the days in the lab that I didn't really answer your question. See if you can help write some of the paper. For me, I am always trying to get my name on a publication. Some professors are keen about the idea of having undergraduates publishing, some aren't. You'll have to feel that one out. Regardless, express interest in publication as an undergrad. A publication will set you apart from many applicants.

Poster presentations also look good. If you haven't met your n yet, you can still analyze the data to see what you've got. Then get a poster going and present it at a local conference or even a national one. Some schools also have a "scholar's week" and you could present it there. Anything that you can add to your vita regarding research will look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply... To clarify, we're all allowed to do everything... run participants, score, re-score enter data... With participants, however, it's just a matter of scheduling them in two hour time blocks, which may be hard as the only open time blocks I have are Tuesday/Thursday mornings, Friday afternoons, and late Monday mornings, and I'm worried it will be hard to get undergrads to come in at those times.. I'm considering dropping a class to give me more time blocks, but I'm not sure if this is wise... Thoughts?

Thanks for the reply... To clarify, we're all allowed to do everything... run participants, score, re-score enter data... With participants, however, it's just a matter of scheduling them in two hour time blocks, which may be hard as the only open time blocks I have are Tuesday/Thursday mornings, Friday afternoons, and late Monday mornings, and I'm worried it will be hard to get undergrads to come in at those times.. I'm considering dropping a class to give me more time blocks, but I'm not sure if this is wise... Thoughts?

With the psychology subject pool (i assume this is what you're using?) undergrads tend to wait until the last part of the semster to get extra credit and will be forced into taking undesirable days/time slots as a result. That is unless they have to sign-up throughout the semester for extra credit? So you'd get participants, just more towards the end of the semester. It really depends on how the lab recruits participants and if participants are given an option as to when they can participate for extra credit.

As for dropping a class, that's really a decision that you'd have to make. If they offer the class you want to drop next semester, it may be an option to drop the class to take on more research times. If not, or it may put you in danger of not graduating, it may be worth it to keep the class and run a few less time slots.