Question about NP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ztaw15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out. I am going to be starting medical school soon, and my (soon to be) wife is a nurse (BSN/RN). She has gone back and forth with the idea of going back to school to pursue her MSN or DNP and become an NP. I have been encouraging her to do it, because I think if she doesn't do it while we are young and without children then it won't ever happen, and she is so smart and good at what she does (I may be biased) I think it would be such a waste if she didn't. That said, I have been trying to help find information about some programs. More to the point, I am trying to find more information about the length of critical care practice time required, the application timelines, and how competitive it is to get in. She has a great GPA, even by medical school standards, so I wouldn't imagine that being a problem. I looked at the website for a school in an area we will potentially be in, but it couldn't (didn't) provide these details. Any input appreciated, and sorry for the length.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many require at least a year of experience, some more for acute care areas. Email them with any questions. They usually get back pretty quickly.

I love this distance format thing!! Incredible, they want to learn clinical
medicine and they want to do it via DISTANCE format!!! Incredible hands on experience!!!

This is awesome for the patients!!!

I see, because I imagine that dealing with a crashing patient with X, Y and Z co-morbidities (in different age groups, with different family members that one different things done in term of code status) and taking 7 different medications in a rural vs academic hospital is going to be learn much better via the computer than first hand experience!!! Yeah right!!!

maybe in the 8-5 schedule of cubicle world the online experience is good, but this is medicine.

I see, because I imagine that dealing with a crashing patient with X, Y and Z co-morbidities (in different age groups, with different family members that one different things done in term of code status) and taking 7 different medications in a rural vs academic hospital is going to be learn much better via the computer than first hand experience!!! Yeah right!!!

maybe in the 8-5 schedule of cubicle world the online experience is good, but this is medicine.

Same answer as in another post:

Perhaps your educational experience has failed you since you seem to have difficulty with this. What you're talking about is clinical which is exactly that - "clinical experience." "Clinical is not done via distance education because it is "clinical experience." But then again, maybe you haven't heard of Sim Man either. Now, let me finish this video on suturing in NEJM.

Why do you keep referencing this website as though it were a credible resource?

Just FYI. Plus I have listed credible research links before on distance education. I just enjoy it when people swear by research (EBM) but turn a deaf ear when it doesn't agree with their agenda.