SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Question about NPI number

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by GPC, Apr 24, 2007.

1. GPC

GPC GPC

Jul 22, 2005
    I'm going to graduate from optometry school in a few weeks and I want to know when is a good time to apply for an NPI number. Do I need my state license before I get my NPI number? Do I need my NPI number before I get credentialed with Medicare. Should I wait till my first job or just apply now while I am in school for my NPI number? Anyone know?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eyestrain

eyestrain Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2005
    South Dakota
    Yeah, I'd like to know too. I'm hoping the school will fill us in on some this stuff during graduation week, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. IndianaOD

IndianaOD 2+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Eyestrain,

Are you a 3rd or 4th year? At IU you should ask Theresa Seeley. She could answer your question as she handles all the credentialing.

5. Ryan_eyeball

Ryan_eyeball Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Kansas
    I'm not sure if I had to have my state license to get my NPI, but I don't think so. You must have your NPI before you apply to Medicare, and it will say on the website or application that you need it. By the way the Medicare application is 33-35 pages long.

FYI...if you run a business or incorporate yourself as an LLC for an independent contractor you MUST obtain 2 NPI's. One must be for your business name, and you must also obtain one for yourself individually. If you are going to work for another doctor, then you only need the individual NPI.

Getting on the NPI and filling out the information took about ten minutes if i remember correctly. good luck