Question about Ochem Pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoRey14

c/o 2020!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was a bit confused on which of my undergrad General/Ochem courses will be considered "fulfilled" for applying to Veterinary School. I went to UCLA, and I have already graduated, but unfortunately, I received a C- in the Ochem lab portion (14CL), so I wish to re-take it ASAP. It is to my knowledge that most vet schools require a full year of General Chemistry AND a full year of Organic Chemistry. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The chemistry classes I took at UCLA were as follows:
1) 14 A Atomic and Molecular Structure, Equilibria, Acids, and Bases. (4 qtr units)
2) 14B Thermodynamics, Electrochemistry, Kinetics, and Organic Chemistry. (4 qtr units)
3) 14BL (Lab) General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory I. (3 qtr units)
4) 14C Structure of Organic Molecules. (4 qtr units)
5) 14CL (Lab) General and Organic Chemistry Laboratory II. (4 qtr units)
Total of: 19 qtr units completed

****14D Organic Reactions and Pharmaceuticals. (4 qtr units) was the last of the series, but it wasn't needed for my major in order to graduate, so I didn't take it.

I believe 14A, 14B, and 14BL fulfill the full year of Gen Chem.
14 C, 14 CL, 14 D would fulfill the full year of Ochem.

My main concern: I know I have to definitely take the last Ochem, and I have to re-take the lab, however, most places do not offer the lab alone, so should I just retake the entire series? Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I googled it for you (hint, hint, give it a try) and learned that A/B are G chem and C/D are O chem. I also read that the 14 series is for "life science" majors while "physical science" students take a higher course number. You'll need to check and see if the schools you plan to apply to will accept the 3 quarters you took.

I'm glad you were able to find some resources and edited your post :) I bet more people can offer their experience with the added info!

You're still in the position of needing to ask the schools directly how they will calculate the O chem grade, but in general many schools combine the lab and lecture into one grade that needs to be above a C-. So if you had a B in 3 hours of lecture (3.0 x 3 hours) and a C- in a 2 hour lab (1.7 x 2 hours), then that calculates to a total course grade of 2.48, a C. Of course I calculated this random example off of semester hours, so make sure you use a formula for quarter hours. There are great online GPA calculators if you want to use one.

Repeating the series may help you boost your GPA and prepare you to succeed in the 2nd course (if it has been a while since you took o chem 1).

Also, check with the actual professors about repeating the lab. It's not uncommon for professors to give permission to a student to do only the lab or the lecture when they have already passed the other. Unfortunately, it's easier to get a lecture spot than a lab spot due to limited lab space :(

Good luck!

PS: about 1/3rd of schools only require a half year of ochem, but it may have to be a "survery" course.