Question about one year of english requirement...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

banannamilk

Hi SDNers,
I realize that many medical schools list one year of english (or literature classes) as a prereq for admission to their program. I graduated from a university where only 5 quarter units (one class) of english class was required for my major (non-science) -- so that's how many units I have. Would anyone know what the consequences would be if I were to apply without having a full year of english classes to schools that require them? I would like to apply this summer (for fall 2005 admission), and I plan to take physics I & II, and ochem II this fall to finish all the science prereqs... if possible, I would like to "ignore" the english requirements (I'm hoping that the admissions people will say, "No english classes? Oh, don't worry, we just say on our website that we require them, but they're are not mendatory for non-science majors." Do I need to get my head out of the sand, and add two english classes to my fall load? :(
Much thanks in adavance...

Members don't see this ad.

I would take one more semester of english. I have an AP credit, which makes me take junior English (they have one for law, a general one, one for medical professions, etc). I know at UMCP, if you take freshman English (ENGL100) and recievee an 'A' your eEnglish requirement is fufilled. I was not 100% sure if some schools take AP English, and I believe a few do not count it towards the 6 credits/2 semesters, so I'm taking 1 more English class (Hebrew Bible: Narrative).

I was looing at med schools, and several didnt have an Englsih requirement, but want you to be proficent speaking and writing English. Go to www.aamc.org and look through the list of schools and find some that don't have a specific requirement.

I wouldn't waste my money applying to a school where your don't meet their prerequesites... they would most likely file those in the circular file ;)

-Liz

Do not ignore classes that are listed as "required" because the schools will make you take all of them before you can matriculate. You need to take one more semester of english, but you don't need to have finished it by the time you apply. Just put on your application that you plan to take it and list the course number, units, and when you will take it. Most premeds applying don't have every single requirement finished at the time of the application. I am taking a semester of calculus right now (i've already graduated) at a community college because I APed out of it in high school and never took it in college. The school that accepted me specifically said that my acceptance is contingent on me finishing this course before June 30. So yeah schools don't just list required courses on the web for fun or for science majors only. They are for ALL applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that med schools tend to be very flexible about what they consider english. None of the classes I counted toward the english requirement were in the english department. I took a seminar on Victorianism and introduction to philosophy. Both of these classes were designated writing intensive by my school. Basicly as long as you can show that one of your classes not in the english department was a writing intensive class, you can probably get away with it.

TheRussian said:
I think that med schools tend to be very flexible about what they consider english. None of the classes I counted toward the english requirement were in the english department. I took a seminar on Victorianism and introduction to philosophy. Both of these classes were designated writing intensive by my school. Basicly as long as you can show that one of your classes not in the english department was a writing intensive class, you can probably get away with it.

Very, very true. One of my "english classes" was a Russian lit course and the other was a Euro History course with a couple extra papers. Just be creative.

And it's always a smart thing to send a quick yet well stated and professional e-mail asking. I don't want to take bio II at my school. Long story, but I hate geology/evolution/stuff covered there. But, I intend to complete 2 semesters of anatomy (I LOVE the human body, it's AMAZING!) and maybe one of genetics (I have done field work in genetics). So I shot off an e-mail to about a dozen schools that I am interested in and asked. I have not recieved a response telling me that they won't, many have said that these classes are acceptable towards that count of "biology" credits. Around 3 have given me the response to look on their website--which I did PRIOR to e-mail them--and that was of no help. Two of those told me to go to my premed advisor, who has never been of any help anyways, and also that if I met my school's premed requirements, I would have met their college's and therefore it's okay. Ummmmmm, you're right down the street from my university and must recieve quite a bit of our grads in application and a few to matriculate, but you don't know that there is no "premed" curiculum for me to fufill there? And I remember stating in my e-mail that there was no set curiculum at my school to fufill so that's why I was inquiring. Gimme a break. :mad:

I hope that if you do go that route you get don't get the response I did there, remember to save those e-mails they send back! :)

-Liz