Question about opening a new pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd20000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still a student and I am wondering if we are allowed to open a new pharmacy across the street from another pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

If CVS can open up shop across the street from Walgreens, what's stopping you from doing the same?

There are areas of the country where you will see pharmacies not just across the street from each other, but on the same street

Consider your future options

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you even consider opening a new pharmacy? The giants, ie Walmart and Walgreens will eat you alive!

Why would you even consider opening a new pharmacy? The giants, ie Walmart and Walgreens will eat you alive!

You have obviously never worked in an independent pharmacy. Get some experience in a good indie, You'll be amazed at how much cash they rake in!

I know independents that establish just to sell out. Win/win for them.

The only thing that stops me from pursing ownership is the lack of prospectus information. I am not going to shell out for a bogus membership just to find out that the for sale listings are as barren as the professional association job board. But I don't have a steady stream of income. If I did I would definitely shell out because it seems to be the only source of info out there. It's all so proprietary and secretive and I totally understand why. I guess you just have to be in the right place at the right time and be able to out bid the big box.

Starting any business there is a lot of planning, researching and finances. I hope all is well since your last post. My husband has been in the pharmacy field for many years and has his business in which, helps pharmacies start up an IV department. If you find this is something you need, please feel free to get in contact with him at [email protected]. Or if you know of anyone feel free to send them to his webpage at www.sterilecompoundstartup.com
Hope all is well and good luck with your new venture.