Question about our choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crabbygas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Psychiatrists,

I'm curious about something and I thought you guys might help. What do you make of the question, "Would you rather be right or happy?" Sure, I know it's often used in the context of an argument between a couple. But I'm curious about what you guys think about it in a more general context of the choices we make for ourselves.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What does this have to do with psychiatry?

Reactions: 3 users
I'd rather be right. But, being right makes me happy.

But, I think the question should be more phrased in the context of "Would you rather be right, or effective?" Because, that is more likely the point of contention that our patients, especially the cluster B ones, are facing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been thinking about this too. I see people with underlying negative schemas/belief systems who would rather see information to prove these right than wrong. Whereas affirming contradicting information would lead to increased “happiness” they fight it or ignore it.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends. There’s a difference between denial and suppression.

The entire idea of defense mechanisms is that one has to balance the pursuit of hedonism with reality and the consequences of ones actions.

You question remind me of this Chinese quote:

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle."

So, would you rather be rich and miserable or poor and happy?