This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonobanano

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all — this might sound strange but I'm looking for some clarity on fellowship eligibility.

I'm currently an ophthalmology resident, but I've had a long-standing interest in interventional pain management. I know the ACGME pain medicine fellowship traditionally draws from anesthesiology, PM&R, neurology, psychiatry, and emergency medicine.

My questions:
  • Are ophthalmology residents/graduates eligible to apply to ANY pain medicine fellowships (ACGME or not), or is eligibility restricted to specific base specialties?
  • If eligibility is restricted, is there any pathway (additional training, a different board) that would open it up?
  • Has anyone seen someone match into pain from a non-traditional base specialty?
Appreciate any insight or firsthand experience., thank you
 
Hi all — this might sound strange but I'm looking for some clarity on fellowship eligibility.

I'm currently an ophthalmology resident, but I've had a long-standing interest in interventional pain management. I know the ACGME pain medicine fellowship traditionally draws from anesthesiology, PM&R, neurology, psychiatry, and emergency medicine.

My questions:
  • Are ophthalmology residents/graduates eligible to apply to ANY pain medicine fellowships (ACGME or not), or is eligibility restricted to specific base specialties?
  • If eligibility is restricted, is there any pathway (additional training, a different board) that would open it up?
  • Has anyone seen someone match into pain from a non-traditional base specialty?
Appreciate any insight or firsthand experience., thank you
optho is not eligible for ACGME pain board certification. You would have an incredibly hard time winning an ACGME pain fellowship spot.
If you're an early optho resident and you really want pain, you should try to switch into an anesthesia residency or possibly PM&R. If you're already at the end of your optho residency then I don't think you have a reasonable shot at Pain.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pain is great and in my opinion better than ophtho, but if you’re already in a field as good as ophtho I do not think pain is significantly better enough to take that massive of a risk and/or waste that much time. You are simply not board eligible from ophtho, and that will significantly limit your job opportunities. Not that you couldn’t do fine, there’s non-traditional docs who do great work and get paid well, but it’s not like you’re giving up a ****ty field for pain; you’re giving up one of the best lifestyle fields there is, with no guarantee you’ll find gainful employment in pain, or at least one that is comparable to what you could get with eyeballs.
 
Pain is great and in my opinion better than ophtho, but if you’re already in a field as good as ophtho I do not think pain is significantly better enough to take that massive of a risk and/or waste that much time. You are simply not board eligible from ophtho, and that will significantly limit your job opportunities. Not that you couldn’t do fine, there’s non-traditional docs who do great work and get paid well, but it’s not like you’re giving up a ****ty field for pain; you’re giving up one of the best lifestyle fields there is, with no guarantee you’ll find gainful employment in pain, or at least one that is comparable to what you could get with eyeballs.
What made you feel like pain is better than optho? I like pain too but just out of curiosity
 
I think OP is having some residency struggles. A lot of surgeons tend to think of anesthesiology as cake or cushy, but if there are competency issues as a clinician you cannot hide them in the OR.
 
I think OP is having some residency struggles. A lot of surgeons tend to think of anesthesiology as cake or cushy, but if there are competency issues as a clinician you cannot hide them in the OR.
Lol, nice of you to make that claim. No competency issues. No struggles other than I don’t like what I’m doing. And I never said I wanted to do anesthesia, I wanted to do interventional pain..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.