Question about parent/guardian section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybug@409

Reaction score
Hello, it’s my first time posting a question on here after lurking for a while so I want to thank y’all in advance for any help you can offer!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey @Goro I’m newish here but I have heard that you tend to give great advice, and while I want to hear what everyone has to say (and am open to all input) I wanted to reach out to you. I know you typically don’t do AMCAS filling questions but since this is more of a general question as to the personal statement and its connection to the rest of the application I was hoping for your opinion. Would you think it’s weird to read about a relationship like that, and then not see the applicant’s relative’s information in the application?

The names of your parents are an optional portion of your application. I think that this is a situation where you would be best to leave the names of all of your parents (and step-parents) off of the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
The names of your parents are an optional portion of your application. I think that this is a situation where you would be best to leave the names of all of your parents (and step-parents) off of the application.
Hi @LizzyM thank you for your quick response! From what I understand, leaving out all parental information isn't common, and I had planned on listing my mother because our relationship is fine, but do you think it's best to leave out both of my parents name for anonymity with my specific situation? I wouldn't want listing no parents to affect the way ADCOMS view my application, but my mother also never went to college and performs clerical work so I'm not sure if that would make a difference in my application either if I chose to include her.

Hey @Goro I’m newish here but I have heard that you tend to give great advice, and while I want to hear what everyone has to say (and am open to all input) I wanted to reach out to you. I know you typically don’t do AMCAS filling questions but since this is more of a general question as to the personal statement and its connection to the rest of the application I was hoping for your opinion. Would you think it’s weird to read about a relationship like that, and then not see the applicant’s relative’s information in the application?
I only see AACOMAS apps

I've seen tons where only one parent is listed. I assume that the non-listed parent is simply deceased

You are between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, listing your mom and her educational status may help explain your situation as a first generation college student. And you feel that your father's abusive behavior is an important part of your "why medicine" essay. If you are going to list only your mother's name on the application, which some people do if they were adopted or didn't otherwise have a father, but write about your father and not list him in the parent section, as if he didn't exist, it will raise a question. Of course, writing as you plan to about your father and then listing his name can raise eyebrows, too.

And, btw, on the AMCAS, parents can be listed whether living or not and there is a yes/no question about that status.

Frankly, I'd recommend a a long look at your personal statement and see if there isn't another approach to the "why medicine" essay that does not include your relationship with your father.

I see a very limited pool of applicants and I'd estimate that 2-4% don't fill in that optional section with parents names. That said, I don't judge one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 user