Question about PCSOM application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tas

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the application, it asks for an LOR from 1) D.O. 2) Science Faculty 3) Premed advisor

I have the letter from a D.O., will my school's committee letter be acceptable in place of #2 and #3?

If you know for sure, please let me know - otherwise, I'm calling PCSOM tomorrow a.m. :)

Members don't see this ad.

drat - sorry, I meant to post this in the pre-do forum.

edit: Thanks whoever moved my msg :)

I had a DO letter, and MD letter, two science faculty, and a professor from my master's program write letters of Recommendation for me.

I would at least get the minimum of what they are asking for. If you would like to make sure, give Angel Hamiliton a call in her office. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. She would be able to answer your question for you right then.

Get your secondary in ASAP. Good luck to you in your medical school application. Back to studying gross!

ACE

Members don't see this ad :)
That was the odd thing, I've called a few times (phone # on their website) and it just rang and rang.

But I sent her and email and she very promptly got back to me.

I was really trying to hurry and get my app in for PCSOM but it looks like I'm going to have to have 2 of my professors write new LORs for me. That may be tough since I've graduated, hope some of them remember me :)

Howdy... I am an applicant to PCSOM, but not from the Appilachian area. I didn't realize they only accept ~2% of their students from other areas. I was wondering if this is a legal issue? It doesn't seem right for one person to be denied a seat if they live in one state versus another. I am sad that they do this and that I am assured a rejection letter.

- :mad:

DrB said:
Howdy... I am an applicant to PCSOM, but not from the Appilachian area. I didn't realize they only accept ~2% of their students from other areas.

Who told you this? It's just not true.

We have lotsa lotsa people from lotsa lotsa other places. If you dont believe me go over to the DO forum and ask some other people.

Certainly its a plus if you are from KY or appalachia in the application process, but not being from the area is not at all important as far as keeping you from getting in.

DrB said:
Howdy... I am an applicant to PCSOM, but not from the Appilachian area. I didn't realize they only accept ~2% of their students from other areas. I was wondering if this is a legal issue? It doesn't seem right for one person to be denied a seat if they live in one state versus another. I am sad that they do this and that I am assured a rejection letter.

This is absolutely untrue. I am a first year at PCSOM. A very high portion of my classmates are from out of state. My class has a person from Idaho, one from Utah, several from Michigan and Indiana, about 5 from Mississippi, I am from West Virginia, a couple from Florida, we have 3 from Georgia, one from Texas, 1 from Alabama, 1 from Connecticut, 1 from Pennsylvania, 3 or 4 from Missouri........

We only have 79 in our class, so a good mixture of our class is from areas other from the Appalachian region. But, they like to put doctors back into rural Appalachia, which is part of the school's mission statement.

I strongly encourage you to apply to PCSOM. Pikeville, although small, is a comfortable little town and has very few distractions. PCSOM is a great school and I think that if you come for an interview, you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you would like some info on the Pikeville area and the school, visit my webpage at www.geocities.com/pcsom2008/index

Hope this info is helpful.

ACE

Well, I've gotten the LOR thing straightened out, I'll be 2nd daying it to the school in the morning :)

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my pessimism. After applying at aacomas I looked over the PCSOM web site. In the acceptance profile it says the school takes ~98% Appalachian residents. I hope to be part of the school and I would love to go there, but as a California resident, I am not expecting an interview.

Good luck to all the hopefuls :luck:

You didnt offend anyone.... we just want to make sure that you have all the facts.

Like I said in my previous post....we have a people as far west as Utah. If you really have the desire to come to Pikeville, KY from California, they will be able to see that. Good luck to you!

DrB -

if you are really serious about pcsom you should visit the campus and meet with some of the administrators. That will raise your application a level. This shows that you are serious about the school and coming there not just shotgunning your application everywhere.

Good luck.