Question about pharmacy hiring policies

Started by ctriceman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ctriceman

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody here would know if having a bankruptcy on your credit report would hurt your chances of being hired as a pharmacist.
 
Considering how desparate most areas are for pharmacists, I doubt it. Now if you are going for a specialized, cream-of-the-crop job, then yes, a bankruptcy could hurt your chances. All other things being equal, if a place of business has 2 applicants, they are going to take the one who has a good credit score.
 
I was wondering the same thing today. The pharmacy I'm at now has denied their last 4 pharmacy tech applicants due to bad credit. Would they do it for a pharmacist though? I dunno.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it will come to that point in a few years. It's a somewhat prevalent practice in other industries. I think it'll only affect those with little work experience, and those who don't have a good story to go with it.
 
Hiring aside, you need to worry about licensing. Defaulting on student loans makes you unlicensable in some states. You'd have to consult the state board of pharmacy in the state you are thinking of getting licensed in to see if there are any issues with you getting licensed in light of the bankruptcy. If student loans were included in the money you defaulted on then you may have a harder time than if you has taken out a business loan and the business had failed since the license restrictions in some states specifically list "defaulting on student loans" as a reason for denial of licensure.