Question about PhD program, existential psychology and logotherapy.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello,
I am currently an undergrad majoring in philosophy. I've begun taking more psyc classes and am interested in the possibility of pursuing a PhD in the field. I'm particularly interested in existential psychology and logotherapy. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a graduate school where I have a good chance of finding an advisor with similar interests. So far most of the schools I've found focusing on these topics only go as far as a Master's degree. Also, I'm curious how existential psychology is currently perceived within the field.
Thanks!

McClinas

5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2009
Status
Duquesne University, although there seems to be some debate about how reputable their program is. There are a couple threads on this forum about their program, check it out. Good luck

psychFTW

7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Ole Miss w/Dr. Schulenberg would be a great place for you to look.
He's also churned out lots of publications over the last year or two.

Enlightened1

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
I've always considered myself to be more of a "philosopher" than a "scientist." While philosophy resonates more with me than the hard sciences, I really want to apply my knowledge to make a direct impact in people's lives, and clinical psychology allows me to do this. I really think that a philosophy degree and a "hard science" PhD degree fall short in this dimension, at least for me. So I think clinical psych is a prudent path for someone with these interests, and there's a lot to explore with respect to the philosophy underlying psychology; psychology essentially sprung from the foundation of philosophy, so this intersection is still alive and well. I wouldn't rule out a standard clinical psychology PhD program, I perhaps would look for a program that espouses an eccelectic theoretical orientation, and/or one that emphasizes research, clinical training, AND theory, and how these domains interact and inform each other. Also when you are actually practicing, you can always integrate your existential philosophy/logotherapy into your clinical work. Remember, there isn't one "right way" to be an effective clinician. Be true to yourself and your passions.